𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

27 | Z A C K

Daisy tossed the pen and raked her fingers through her hair. "Fuck chemistry! I just want to sleep."

I sighed and sat upright, my back resting on the giant tree. We were under the tree enjoying the gloom of the broad branches. Daisy lay flat on her belly, books and papers scattered in front of her. It was between the end of school and the football practice. It had almost being an hour since we started and I'm trying to make the lesson as enjoyable as possible.

Daisy has being trying to solve a chemistry question since forever. We solved similar questions together but she couldn't solve the one I gave her on her own. I could see the fierce determination in her eyes as she attempts to answer. One way or the other, she's going to solve it and succeed in passing her exams.

"But you have to learn to be able to succeed."

She groaned and massaged her temples. "I know. It's not like I'm about to give up. I must solve this problem before I go back home."

"You'll be just fine." I reassured.

Something came up because suddenly, she sat and began to search her bag. She brought out what looks to be a jar and handed it to me. "I think we swear a lot. And I don't think its a great idea for our child's first first word to be a swear word. I discovered this method online. Whenever I swear, I insert a dollar inside the jar and whenever you do, you insert one too."

I took the jar and smiled. "That's a lovely idea."

"But I'm so hungry. Why don't you go and get us junk from the restaurant, preferably McDonald's or any one close by." She suggested

I was also hungry. It has being hours since I last ate and my stomach was suddenly growling. I was merely trying to pull on a cool face during the lesson but I couldn't take it any longer.

"You know what? You solve the question while I go get us something stable," I pointed a finger at her with a warning face. "No cheating." I said as I rose up.

She flung her hands up in the air. "I promise I won't. Remember I don't lie." And she smiled.

I shook my head and walked down the grass of the stadium field. There were almost no students. The only remnants were football players warming up before the football practice begin. The match is getting closer and we're trying our best to prepare ourselves.

I have this urge to turn back, grab Daisy and make her confess what happened on Saturday morning. I still haven't confronted her about the situation. It's not like I'm being a coward or something, it's just that when I saw her warm beautiful eyes, everything crept out of my mind. It's like Daisy suddenly has me under her spell and can control me like a dummy.

I got to the Roman restaurant and ordered two burgers, fries and drinks. The day was beautiful and cloudy. Most people enjoy a bright day with the sun shining in the sky. But I enjoy autumn. I love the cold weather and the cloudless sky.

I paid the orders and made my way to the door. As I got out of the restaurant building, I almost bumped into Jenna and Kaila. They were laughing at something and about to enter the café to probably have lunch.

Jenna looked surprised to see me there. "Zack! What a coincidence!"

"Hey, Jenna," I greeted with a smile. I turned to Kayla and waved at her. "Kaila."

"Hey." She sweetly replied. They have bring inseparable since Mrs Miller's Halloween party. They study, have lunch and hang out all together. It seemed like Jenna finally found herself a best friend.

"Did you just left the school?" I asked.

Jenna nodded. "Yeah we did after a long study session in the library and also assisted the librarian to organise the library. Kayla joined me." She beamed at her friend.

"That's very nice of you. I don't want to disturb you two. I've to go but have fun."

She immediately interposed. "Wait! You can join us. It's totally not a problem. We can just hangout and have lunch."

"Yeah, it'd be cool," Kaila added.

Beside not wanting to abandon Daisy, I didn't want to spend my time with them. What would we talk about? It'll only make me feel like an intruder.

"I'm really sorry but I'm with someone. I just took a break to get us something to eat. Maybe sometimes later." I scratched the back of my head as I said.

Her face fell but she tried to conceal it with a gummy smile. "Oh! I absolutely forgot about your football practice. Must be for your friends." She said curiously.

Her words lingered and the tone had a blank curiosity to it. "Aaah... It's actually not my friends. It's your sister, Daisy."

If a volcanic eruption suddenly flare up, my face wouldn't look as shocked as Jenna. Her eyes and mouth were wide open and amusement danced in them. It was clear she wasn't anticipating the least person to be.

"Daisy? My sister?" She asked in a croaked voice. Kaila looked almost as shook as her.

"Yeah" I quietly replied.

"Zack, are you okay? Is she blackmailing you?"

Woah. I wasn't expecting that to slip out of her mouth. Her face suddenly crumpled with worry. I'm glad she's looking out for me but the surprised expression on her face made her look suspicious. It was a combination of astonishment and... dismay.

"I'm fine. We're actually on a study session." I honestly said.

Her eyes squinted as she stared at me doubtfully. "Seriously? Study session with my sister? Since when?"

Her reaction was rather astonishing but I didn't divulge it. "Yeah. Your sister is determined to pass her exams. I'm glad she's changing into a better person. That's what you always wanted, right?" I cocked a brow at her.

She tugged a strand of hair behind her ear and looked away. "Yeah... I guess. What I'm trying to say is just that... the situation seems strange. My sister promised to drop out of school the day she turned eighteen. Don't you think it's a little bit weird for her to promptly decide to change her mind?"

The resolution in Daisy's eyes said otherwise. I wasn't trying to defend her but what I saw was crystal clear. She's an open book and I like studying her.

"I don't think your sister has any evil intentions towards me. The determination in her eyes was unwavering." I insisted.

Kaila shook her head in agreement. "Yeah. She changed a lot, Jenna. Haven't you heard? Your sister is no more the cheerleader. Her co-cheerleader, Peyton has taken over the title and Abigail has taken over Peyton's place. Your sister's popularity has massively declined and yours has rose up."

A strange look appeared on her face as her mind travel to wonderland. "But how?" She muttered to herself but within earshot.

"Hey, everything's going to be alright." I assured her.

"I'm just worried about you. My sister's an evil witch and there's nothing she wouldn't do to get what she wants."

I patted her on her shoulder to calm her. "I trust her, Jenna. And you know something? I'm glad she goes after what she wants."

Before she could add anything, I walked away. I'm not about to allow her to strip away my trust for Daisy. She's pregnant with my kid and I'm as happy as a kid in the morning of Christmas to guide her along the right path.

My heart almost leaps out of my chest when I caught a glimpse of her. She was still lying on her belly, her eyes wandering line by line of her book. She looks like an angel with her hair was down. Her legs dangled up and down and her lips twisted unconsciously as she focused on her work. Despite our differences, we created something unique and beautiful.

Our friendship.

But I'm starting to doubt it's just that.

———

Don't forget to vote, comment and share to support me

Hope you enjoy❤