𝐒𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

16 | J E N N A

"It's Halloween!" I ran towards my Mom and captured her in an affectionate hug from behind.

"Happy Halloween, my love!" She replied and hugged me back.

She is baking the delicious cookies for breakfast. My Mom is sublime at making homemade chocolate chip cookies. I know I'm going to have to take a break from my diet that I literally started a few days ago to taste her exquisite cookies. It makes me sound like I'm a loser but I'm still doing it anyway. Maybe that's why Zack never liked me. And neither did anyone at school. I'm just the weird nerd obsessed with books and science and as boring as hell.

Although I love reading books, it sometimes gets a little bit boring especially without any friend to read with.

Today might just be the luckiest day of my life. I'm going to the Halloween party with Zack Alan Hudson, who's not just the heartthrob of Maxwell High school but my long time crush. I couldn't contain my excitement and had being preparing for the big day the moment our teacher invited us to the party.

Before we became friends, he was just a player to me like his best friend, Eric Lockwood, one of the richest kids of Denver. I fantasise about dating him since his Skylar days. Prior to my sister becoming the head cheerleader, Skylar held the title. My insecurities always become edgy when I see her. She's absolutely stunning with scorching, fiery hair that looks blazing to the touch and captivating deep green eyes. I don't know much about their breakup but they suited each other perfectly.

"Go join your father and have breakfast, honey. Finish on time and start getting ready for the gala," She said as she insert the congruent cookies inside the oven.

"Alright!" I left the kitchen to join Dad at the dinning table.

Dad was sitting on one of the dinning chairs, slowly sipping his coffee, his glasses lowered to the edge of his nose as he attentively type away on his laptop. My father is a workaholic. He's a freelance writer, always typing away on his laptop. While he enjoys his work, sometimes I think he's a little obsessed with it.

"Dad, today is Halloween. Please take a break" my eyebrows lowered as I childishly stare at him with puppy eyes.

He looked up from the laptop and smiled at me. "Sweetheart, I would love to but I'm about to finish writing this article. I promise I'll be done in two hours."

I rolled my eyes as I pick four cheesy Frittata muffins and dump them on my plate. I took one bite and it felt like heaven. I might be in love with chocolate but cheese is my addiction. I love the divine, soft taste of it. My Mom always made sure to cook a cheesy food for me.

"I heard you're going to the Halloween gala with your boyfriend."

There are so many mistakes in that sentence. "Firstly, you didn't hear it from anyone. I told you. Secondly, Zack is not my boyfriend. He's just a friend, a classmate."

Dad's perfectly arched brow rose up in a questioning way. "Do I have the right to differ?"

"No thanks."

"I think he's a decent guy. He's handsome with nice upbringing, just like you. His father's occupation is virtuous and his Mom is the kindest caterer you could ever meet. What are you waiting for? Another girl to snatch him?" He enlightened reasonably.

I roll my eyes to the back of my head. He came down on me like a ton of bricks, expecting me to start dating whoever he acquainted me to. "Cut it out, Dad. You're supposed to be overprotective of me..." I paused when something dawned to me. "Wait, how did you know about Zack's parents? We never talk about it."