𝐒𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

63 | Z A C K

A week.

It has being a week since the last time I saw her.

But it felt like eternity. I've waited for her call impatiently just like she demanded but she never called. I barely slept at night with the phone next to me, expecting it to vibrate, to indicate that she was calling. My phone never lived my side. I became obsessed with it, checking it all the time to see if she had called but their was nothing.

For the duration of the case and to give their side of the story and evidence against the Coleman, Daisy and Cole had to visit the court everyday. After her discharge from the hospital, she moved in with her brother in the local hotel. It was before she left that she suggested I move in with my grandmother to try get over what happened. I was reluctant at first but I gave in after a heavy persuasion.

But throughout my stay at grandmother's, I felt this uneasy feeling settle in me, like something bad was about to happen. I tried to brush it off and blamed it on the miscarriage and anxiety attack. I couldn't eat nor sleep. My body refused to relax and my mind was in a battle of chaos. I tried contacting my family to ask if there's anything unusual but they always assured me that everything was fine.

I debated with myself whether to reach out to Daisy or not but each time I attempted to, her demand for me to not contact her filled my head and I had to terminate the call. I was becoming impatient, like a beast trying to escape his cage. It was a relief to me when my Dad came to pick me up and announced the end of the battle.

Apparently, Cole was granted full custody of his younger sister. I was full of joys of spring that Daisy finally got rid of those horrible people and would lead a normal life. She has bring living in their shadows for a very long time, it was time she find a better place.

The Coleman were convicted of emotional cruelty, child emotional neglect and abandonment of their adopted children. They were arrested and would face a threat of jail. The Coleman also lost full custody of their biological daughter for maltreatment and not giving her the medical attention she needed.

Jenna is locked up in the asylum and being treated over mental instability. She has very rare case of multiple disorders among which was the attention deficit disorder she developed during her childhood because her parents didn't allow her to have anyone but them in her life for the fear of loosing her. They thought they were doing the right thing by protecting her but they soon regretted it.

"You look like the old, beat up truck my Dad used to have, son." Dad said as he took the bag I was holding from me. We just arrived home but to be honest, I didn't miss this place. All I wanted to do was to find Daisy and hold her in my arms. To kiss her and tell her I'm better than ever.

The door swung open and Mom rushed out to hug me. I gladly hugged her back but the unmistakable tears I saw in her eyes didn't go unnoticed. I was away for a week and I know she missed me but this couldn't be the reason of my mother suddenly becoming an emotional wreck. My siblings and I once stayed with grandmother for three weeks because our parents went on a small vacation but they never cried when they returned. This triggered a suspicion something's going on that nobody wants me to know.

"I missed you so much, darling." She muttered when she pulled away. Mom didn't try to hide the tears glistening in her eyes. I scowled at her when she started sobbing.

I grabbed her shoulders, surprised at her sudden breakdown. "What happened? Mom, is everything okay?"

"Zack, it would be better if you get inside." Dad suggested.

Mom helped with my other bag and we went inside the house. I met all my sisters there and they welcomed me back home. After the small greeting, I noticed the small bright white ball curled up in a blanket. Except it wasn't a ball because it was moving like a tiny baby. It's so adorable I had to blink my eyes several times to believe it.