𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

13 | Z A C K

The first thing I did the next day during lunch time was to search for Jenna. I plan to apologise for what happened the other day. We had all our classes together but I was unable to talk to her. She seemed distant and sad during the classes and she answered none of the questions asked by the teachers.

I found her sitting alone and playing with her food, her eyes flickering side to side as she reads the open book in front of her. A wave of compassion crashed inside me when I realised that she's the only one to have an empty table. The cafeteria is filled with students eating together, their voices and laughter saturating the air.

"Jenna."

She stops playing with the fork and looks up almost immediately. "Zack."

I quickly sit opposite her and placed my forearms on the table. "Listen Jenna, I have to apologise..."

She intervened "please don't. I don't want your apology, Zack. Daisy had always being this way to me. It's normal. I accept her the way she is and I hope that she'll accept me the way I am in the near future."

From the sad look on her face, I know she's hurt by her sister's maltreatment. Jenna is just a fragile girl. She can easily be broken and left alone to heal. I don't care about Daisy's cold attitude anymore. I'm willing to strike up a friendship between Jenna and I. That way, she wouldn't be alone.

"No. You don't deserved to be treated like that" I reach out and place my hand on top of her warm one. She quivered when she felt my cold ones and looks at me confusedly.

"It's okay. Your sister actually apologised about it. I told her it's enough. I know Daisy loathe me on sight but she'll always be my sister." Her eyes spoke of a beautiful soul when she smiles. I knew right then, that all she needed was my friendship, something steady to hold onto and in time those eyes would shine as they were born to.

"Would you like to become friends with me?"

She looked at me then, her eyes drilling into mine. I could see an endless depth of sorrow, pain and contentment. I know that what I just offered would be cherished by her. It's exactly what she needed in her life. It's a quick choice made at the right time, I decide.

"You don't know how long I waited to hear this from anyone." She blinked by the tears threatening to roll down as she spoke.

I gave her hand a quick squeeze in assurance. "But I'm here for you. In case you need anything, consider me at your disposal. I want you to count on me. There's nothing I would not do for those who are really my friend."

Her smile widens and her eyelashes rest on her cheeks for a while. A cute dimple appears on one side of her cheek as she sniffles. "I never thought you'll be the one to approach me, the fugly, unattractive, plain looking nerd."

"Why would you say that? We're all humans, Jenna. We're all the same."

She shook her head and stares at our joined hands. "You're the most popular guy in this school, Zack. You're handsome, charming, intelligent. Guys like you date beautiful cheerleaders like my sister. It's wrong for you to be friends with the nerd."

A sideway glance at the crowd confirmed my suspicion. The students are curious as fuck to know why I approached the nerd. Some of them didn't even make an effort to conceal their curiosity but I honestly don't care. The only thing I'm worried about is Daisy finding out. She'll do anything, including blackmail to set a barrier between Jenna and I.

"I don't care about what they think. Just do what you want to do."

She removes her glasses, wipes away the tears rolling down her cheeks and put it back. "I'd love to be your friend."