𝐅𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲-𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

58 | Z A C K

"Zack, we need to talk." Mom alluded when I stepped inside the house.

I took a few steps inside trying to analyse the expression on my mother's face. She looked quite disturbed but when I looked into her eyes, she was ready to snap. I heard the door clicked shut before Mom's footsteps filled the room. I turned back to find her leaned against the counter with her arms folded as she stared at the floor. I couldn't read her thoughts though.

"Is everything okay?"

She heaved out a sigh. "It has to do with Daisy."

My eyebrows furrowed in perplexity.  "Can you please give me just a moment? I want to check on Daisy," I pleaded.

She didn't hesitate to nod her head. "Of course you can but I have to warn you, she's past asleep. She had been complaining about painful cramps before she eventually she fell asleep. Please don't disturb her when she finally found a peace of mind I'll be waiting here."

I nodded, turned on my heels and walked towards the stairs. I checked my wristwatch to find it was past six in the evening. Eric and I came back late I guess. On our way back, we attempted to solve a lot of puzzles and put them in the right place but it just didn't work. We still need questions that need to be answered.

I gently push open my bedroom door and the first thing I noticed was the sleeping form on my bed. The room was dark as the light was switched off and the room looks very cozy. The windows were shut and everything was intact.

I quietly made my way to the bed and found my sleeping beauty completely knocked up. Her hair all over her face and her lips was slightly open. My gaze moved from her beautiful, serene face to her heaving chest.

Slowly, I reached out a hand and swept back the mop of hair from her face. I could feel the sparks as my fingers slowly trace the corner of her full lips. I leaned down and softly pressed my lips against her forehead. I pulled the comforter over her chest and whispered a good night to her. Daisy snuggled into the comforter and unconsciously smiled.

I got out of the room leaving her to have her time of day. I guess her parents aren't coming to get her. Daisy usually spent the night here. Whereas some of the nights were filled with passion, we just watch TV or play videogames other nights.

"Is she okay?" I heard Maya's voice from her bedroom which was next to mine.

When I turn, I found her standing by her door with a sad smile. She was already in her pajamas obviously about to go to bed early.

I nodded at her and smiled when she gave me a sad smile. "You're doing a very great job. Who would have thought that you would be dating the bad girl and expecting a baby with her? I remember those times that we talk bad about her. Turns out we were wrong. I honestly trusted Jenna." Her voice died as she fixed her eyes on the floor. She was clearly dejected after she found out what Jenna and her best friend did to Daisy.

"I'm not just dating her. I'm in love with her." I rectified.

She shook her head and simpered at me before going back to her room, shutting the door behind her. I climbed down the stairs to find Mom sitting in the living room with a cup of coffee in her hands. She beamed at me when she saw me and gestured for me to sit next to her.

"While you were gone, Daisy's parents came over." Mom confessed. She dropped the cup on the table and her demeanor changed. "I don't know what kind of people they are. When they came, they stopped by the door and refused to come in even when your Dad and I insisted. And then, they asked Daisy if she was okay in a way I find rather abhorring. That was just it. They told her she could stay over and they left as if she never mattered to them. Can you believe it?"

Her face scrunched up in exasperation. That was the breaking point of her patience. Mom is a very good observant. She worries a lot about the people she cares about. But sometimes, I think her curiosity will kill her. She knew for the past few days that we've being hiding a secret about the Coleman family. She must have took notice of our moves and estimated them. And now, I'll have to be the victim of her continuous investigation.

Mom shifted a bit closer and took my hand into her warm ones. "Zack, I'm very aware you know something. Daisy can't be treated like this. She doesn't deserve to be treated like unwanted trash."

I was filled with gratitude to know that my mother cared this much about my girlfriend. "Mom, don't worry, I promise to tell you everything but first, I have to figure things out. Okay?"

She inclined her head in agreement. I told her I wanted to go to bed early and she wished me a goodnight. I was able to calm her down at least.

I went back to my room and huffed out a sigh of relief. The room is completely dark, the moonlight that was usually glowing through the window blocked due to the bad weather. I changed into my sweat set night wear expeditiously.

I was in a state of felicity when I lay down on the bed next to my gorgeous girlfriend, pulling her closer. I felt her hand on my stomach and her head on my chest. Her body was so warm and comfortable I instantly felt like heaven.

Slowly, the peaceful slumber took over my mind.

***

I instantly know something was wrong when I touched the other side of the bed and felt nothing.

My eyes flew open and I sat up, peering around me. I noticed the windows were open and it was snowing. I glanced beside me to find no one.

Just then, Daisy came out of bathroom dressed in one of my baggy sweatshirt and nothing else. Her face was free of makeup and her hair was piled up in a messy ponytail. But that wasn't what attracted my attention.

It was the huge baby bump that scared the living daylight out of me. Last night, she was four months pregnant with a cute baby bump and the next morning, she looks like she's about to pop. What the heck?

Daisy must have perceived my frightened state because she began to laugh. I was befuddled to what was going on.

"Honey, I was just trying to see what I would look like when I reach my final month of birth. What do you think?" She posed sideways, wiggling her eyebrows at me.

I took ahold her hand and kissed the back of it. "That's a very good morning. How are you? How's the cramps?"

Daisy removed the clothing from beneath her shirt and discarded it. She sat down on the bed tiredly and I began to massage her shoulders.

"The cramps wouldn't just leave me. It's becoming more and more agonizing." She moaned and bit her lower lip, her hands clutching her lower abdomen.

This wasn't supposed to be happening. I ran my hand through my hair, letting out a strings of curses. The situation is getting worse. A churning feeling settled in my stomach as I started to check Daisy's temperature.

"We're going to back to the hospital for your final checkup, alright?" I said when she pushed my hands away and stood up.

She inhaled sharply before turning her blue eyes on me. "Yeah but can you please take a walk with me? I think it'll reduce the stress a little bit. My body feels like it's on fire and I think a battle is being conducted in my stomach. And by the way, Cole called me and told me he's coming back today. He wished to be the one to take me to the hospital."

I shrugged as I got out of bed. "Then I'm coming with you. I'll just go and brush and wash my face. Maybe you should get yourself something to eat."

She bobbed her head in accord. I pecked her on the cheek and she winked at me before pulling on her leggings and a coat. I waited until she walked away before I went inside the bathroom.

Believe me, it's going to be a long day.

*Don't forget to vote, comment and share to support me*

Hope you enjoy. See you in the next chapter❤