𝐅𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐢𝐱

56 | Z A C K

"Are you sure about this, Zack? We can't just break in. Maybe we should stop and rethink." I heard Eric's low voice from behind me but I ignored him. I'm determined to find as much evidence as possible. And if luck is in our hands, we might stumble upon a hidden secret.

I casually looked around to see if Eric's doing his job. He was to keep an eye on the public to see if anyone's watching while I try to open the door. Eric was inspecting the environment but was shivering from the cold. The atmosphere is vague in the evening sky and the light form the sun is obstructed by the fog. Eric and I decided just the two of us break into the Coleman's and search to see if we can find some evidence. I know there is more to the story of the Coleman and I open to unravel them all tonight.

"Shit! It's locked." I tried to doorknob again but it didn't budge. Slowly, I reached inside my jacket and brought out the key I stole from Daisy's jeans pocket. I thought it might be helpful. I inserted it into the keyhole but it didn't work.

"What's taking you so long, man? Someone's going to see us and call the cops. You need to hurry." I felt him stop moving. "Wait, I thought you had the key?"

I gave up and turned to him. "Guess I'll have to try the back door." I shrugged and walked away, not waiting for his response. I rounded the house and luckily, I saw the backdoor. Again, I tried the key but it wasn't the perfect match. It didn't even go through the keyhole.

I went back to the front of the house to find Eric still standing on the same spot I left him. He glared at me but I ignored him. I walked in the snow towards the garage, leaving a trail of footsteps. I just hope they disappear before anyone finds out. I went to the garage and observed it for a second. I noticed the keyhole just were the gate meets the ground and decided to try my luck.

It worked. Quickly, we jumped into action. Eric and I went inside and silently close the garage behind us. The garage was empty except for Daisy's bike and other shitty equipments that obviously have no place in the house. There was a door that I assumed was leading inside the house. Thankfully, if was open and we got inside.

The living room was warm and peaceful when we entered. All the windows were shut and the curtains made the room dark. Eric and I split and started digging in for what we came here for. But the picture frames on top of the fireplace caught my eye. In all the family photos, Daisy was mostly absent. They range from when Jenna was young, to receiving awards after winning academic competitions and just family vacations. The only photo of Daisy was when she was young, maybe about to hit her teenage years. And she was alone. But she looks happy which was worth it.

"Strange how they care about Jenna only as if she's their only daughter. What kind of parents do that? Pretty messed up." I didn't realised Eric was beside me and also observing the pictures. "I think there is nothing downstairs."

I nodded and took the lead. We climbed up the stairs and everything was silent except for our footsteps. Slowly, I open Jenna's squeaky door and we boarded inside. The room was just like the living room in terms of the silence. One side of her bed was left unmade as if she left in a hurry. And just under her pillow, I noticed her phone. I quickly rounded the bed and grabbed it.

"What a dumb bitch. She left her phone here. Hope we can access it." Eric whispered as he walks towards me.

The phone has no security but the battery was low when I switched on the phone, I saw that Kayla had scammed her messages. They were not open which indicated that if I open them, Jenna will become suspicious. But I don't give a shit about it. I open the messages to find a lot of messages and pictures sent by Kayla. In the pictures, she was posing in a beautiful dress and in the others, she was recording herself as she happily enter the mall and try on new dresses. It only meant one thing.

She was the thief that stole Lexi's cash and dresses. Even though it might be her cash, I just can't bring myself to believe that.

"What do you think? I feel like this doesn't belong to her. " I showed him the screen of the phone and he scrolled down to see the pictures.

"She is definitely. I mean read the messages. This message says 'going to Shawn's party is the best thing that has ever happened to me' and then this one is like 'They're so rich I'm pretty sure his cousin wouldn't notice. Maybe God decided last night was my luck'. Oh, and look at this." He pointed at the diamond earrings clipped to Kayla's ears.

"Coincidentally, she wore them." I said sarcastically before taking the phone from him. Just as I was about to click home, I noticed my number among the list. I curiously pressed on the number.

In there, I saw the old threatening messages that was sent to me a few days after Daisy informed me about the pregnancy. The sparkle in my eyes fade in disappointment. And guilt. All these years, I've called Daisy names and painted as the devil while Jenna was praised for being a saint. Turns out they swapped positions. Jenna was the perfect balance danger and counterfeit.

There was nothing interesting in her phone so I placed it back where she left it. Eric was checking her closet while I proceeded to check her drawers. I found her books neatly arranged in the first drawer, her writing equipments in the second and the rest contains numerous family photos - excluding Daisy unsurprisingly.

"You found something?" I called out to Eric when he started tapping his foot impatiently.

"Nah. You?"

"None."

After searching the bookshelf and in between the books, I came out with nothing. We searched the nightstands, under the bed, the bathroom and cross check the closet but there was nothing. It was frustrating.

I could feel the vein in my neck throbbing as I look around, trying to find something. Eric crossed his arms and stared at the ceiling. We have no idea what to do next. We came here with a mission and we don't want to leave without achieving it.

"Hold on." Eric said as he weirdly stared at the sofa. He squinted his eyes as he slowly walked towards it. I forgot to check under the sofa though. Maybe we'll find something underneath. "The cushions look unusual."

And just like that, he dipped his hand inside the sofa to the back. I rapidly blinked as he brought out his hand full of dirt and dozens of medicine sachets. They looked untouched and somewhat old like they've being kept in there for a very long time. The writings inscribed on the sachet had already started fading.

"That's a lot of drugs, you know. She's more dangerous than we think she is. I mean... common man, who would buy this medicine just to harm their sister?" I could hear the grimace in Eric's voice but I don't blame him. My shoulders went cold and I just stood there, watching Eric as he observed the drug. He kept one in his jeans pockets and put the rest back.

"This means that Jenna was the one who drugged her sister. But what we do? We can't just go to the cops and report a minor with just a sachet of amphetamine as the evidence? In fact, they'll arrest us instead." He shrugged and propped his hands on his waist.

I sighed as I massaged my temples. It was hard to think when I just confirmed my suspicion. Jenna was behind all of this. This drug isn't just a proof of what she used to harm her sister but also a proof of her mental instability. Tiffany mentioned earlier that amphetamine are mainly used in the treatment of the attention deficit disorder. And from Jenna's violent acts, I obtained the symptoms.

I have questions that needed to be answered. Questions that only Daisy can answer. "We need to leave. I need to talk to Daisy because I know there's more to the story. And I know she knows it."

"Hopefully."

And just as we made sure everything is in place and opened the door to leave Jenna's room, we heard footsteps as someone quietly ascends the stairs. My heart started pounding like a blacksmith's hammer in my chest when I saw who it was.

*Don't forget to vote, comment and share to support me*

Hope you enjoy. See you in the next chapter❤