𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

34 | Z A C K

THE BRISK AUTUMN breeze blew through us as the red and orange leaves flew past in a whirl of motion. It was as though a friendly hand was gently lowering them to the ground. I could feel the warmth of it running through my veins, caressing my lungs and filling my heart with a nostalgia.

I glanced to my side at the figure strolling next to me. Her dark brown hair flew in wild directions. Reaching up, she tucked a strand behind her ear and kept walking through the swaying trees.

She turned her beautiful eyes on me and gestured beneath the tree. I nodded in silence and sat on the grass, the tree serving as a shield from the daylight for me. Jenna joined me and soon, we found ourselves enthralled by a boy cheerfully chasing after a girl several feet away from us.

"We were very close when we were little," she started, her eyes still on the young, carefree couple. "We play with our dolls together, frequently had sleepovers, play together and even had matching dresses. We were happy."

The blissful atmosphere abruptly changed. Jenna was fiddling with her fingers as she manifestly tried to talk. It was obvious this was a difficult aspect to her. I felt bad for the failed relationship between the two beautiful sisters. Although they were different and exceptional in their own skin, none of them deserved whatever cost such pain.

"Until she met him. He was the reason our friendship lessened and lessened, and then, shrunk. Cole was our neighbour. His family moved into the neighborhood after his parents passed away in a car accident. Basically, it was his maternal uncle and his wife raising him." She leaned back on her hands, her outstretched legs crossed in front of her.

"He was a year older than Daisy. The moment the three of us met, he only took an interest in her. Cole was a timid child. He refused to socialise because of the trauma he was facing after the death of his parents. Daisy and I wanted him to confide in us and to have friends who will be there for him. So, we tried to talk to him." Her tongue darted out to damp her dry lips.

"We quickly became friends and did everything together. At first, I didn't give heed to what was happening but then, after some time, I noticed something strange. Cole was always excluding me every time. We were young and stupid, so I passed it as that but after a few years, I realised my sister had become estranged to me and grown closer to Cole. He had to make sure she had some sort of prejudice on me." A glint was playing in her eyes.

Connecting the dots at last, it dawned on me that most certainly be the reason why she was clueless about friendship and always distanced herself from making one. She was afraid of going through the same pain again, a torment she never asked for and never truly deserved. There was no sign of emotion on her face but her eyes were filled with tears.

"He was jealous of the bond between my sister and I. He was jealous he didn't have any. He wanted to be me - to be the one closest to Daisy." Was Daisy worth having around in my life? Hell yeah. Her presence brought difficult yet positive changes. She was like a fiery gem, a special one in fact.

"Like the change during the seasons of flowers, she wiped away all his distress. She helped him through his anxiety and depression and support him in taking all his decisions. She helped him rebuild his life and gave him the love and devotion he deserved. Meanwhile, I was long forgotten. I don't remember what it's like to not feel broken."

She paused to wipe away tears rolling down her cheeks. Unable to think of what to do, I scooch closer and pulled her into my arms. She immediately accepted the solace and held me tight.

"He created this stupid concept about me trying to prevent her from making other friends. He said I was just her sister and nothing more. A sister is meant to be a sister and not a friend - he would quoted." She grunted as she try to hold back the sobs. My chest was aching as I open myself to what she has gone through.

"She turned into a monster overnight and started tormenting me. Together with their friends, they started bullying and harassing me. It was because of them I have to see a therapist every month." She confesses with her head bowed down.

I felt my jaw clench and my nostrils flare as a demonic anger formed in me. They have no right to make her life a living hell. Every word stung only fueling the fire that burned inside of me. Every violated phrase made my hate for Daisy boil up. It drove the furnace out of me to know that I've also being deceived by her. She played innocent and accuses her family of not wanting her when in fact she's the bad guy.

"And there's something very important you need to know." She sat upright and looked straight into my eyes. "Cole sexually harassed me a numerous time and threatened to kill me if I tell anyone. It first happened the day I turned fifteen and it went on for two agonizing months."

I felt lightning crackle through my veins and time slowed down. I was too stunned to move. I couldn't digest what she just said. For a second, I stared at her in complete, utter surprise. Of all the things I was expecting her to say, I wasn't ready for this. As I stare into her eyes, her emotions bared to me, I realised how deeply fragile and broken she is. But despite all of it, she was strong. She was like a knight in shinning armour for keeping this secret for a very long time. I was glad she trust me enough to tell me all of these. And I was willing to give her solace she needs.

"I'm telling you as a friend, because I trust you. Apart from my parents and them, you are the only one who knows about this. Please, keep this a sec..."

Before she could finish, I took her small hands into mine and kissed them. I gave her a peck on the forehead and smile kindly. "I promise you this will stay between us. Thank you so much for taking your time to tell me exactly what I'm going to get myself into."

A smile slowly makes its way to her face. I held her face in my hand and pushed back a strand of hair behind her ear. "I'm really sorry you had to go through this alone. You deserve better than this. They deserve to get punished for what they did."

"My parents took care of it. Mom caught him in the act and... things were taken pretty serious and he got arrested. His adopted parents kicked him out when they discovered and he had to serve fourteen months imprisonment since he was eighteen. He was forced to keep his distance from both me and Daisy. But I guess they're both stubborn."

I was curious as hell that I couldn't help but ask. I really believe what she said but something seems off about it. "Is that the reason why your parents turned against Daisy?"

"She told you that?" She questioned with a confused look.

"Kind of." I replied with hand ruffling through my hair. I was an idiot for taking Daisy's side without further investigation.

Jenna shook her head. "They never went against her. They were just sad she chose to be on the wrong side. They were mad she chose a psychopath instead of her sister. Even after what happened, she refused to let him go and there's nothing we can do about it. Once she's determined, she succeeds."

I wanted to find Daisy and lash out all the fury inside me. I pull Jenna to my chest and hug her gently. One thing's for sure; I can't promise to not have a solemn chat with Daisy.

______________________
There you go! You finally know who Cole is and why he's so attached to Daisy. But tell me, are you still on Daisy's side or you've changed your mind to Jenna? The poor girl's being through a lot

*Don't forget to vote, comment and share to support me*

Hope you enjoy❤