II • THE NIGHT OF THE COMET

two. the night of the comet

Mystic Falls High School, AP History Classroom

Minerva and Stefan are looking at each other from their respectively personal selected seats in between two rows while their teacher lectures, "Originally discovered nearly five centuries ago, it hasn't been over Mystic Falls in over a hundred and forty-five years. Now, the comet will be its brightest right after dusk during tomorrow's celebration. Are we bothering you, Mr. Salvatore? Ms. Devon?"

Minerva and Stefan dropped their flirty gazes and the school bell rings loudly. The seniors packed their essential stationaries before they leave the classroom to join the now-packed main hallway of the school building by other seniors, juniors, sophomores, freshmen and even teachers. Minerva and Stefan are walking side by side down the hallway as they speak.

"So you said I should bring 'Wuthering Heights' by Ellis Bell?" Stefan recalled what she requested for the other day.

"So did you?" Minerva asked, expecting a yes.

"Um...I did, but it slipped my mind because Elena wanted to read it first. I lent it to her earlier this morning. I should've told you. Sorry." Stefan said.

"Oh. You know, I can't believe she didn't use her real name." Minerva spoke.

Stefan explained it to her, "All the Bronte sisters used pseudonyms. It was the time. Female writers weren't very accepted then."

"Where did you get it anyway?" Minerva asked.

"Uh, it was passed down. Through the family." Stefan replied.

"I see." Minerva nods once. Or he kept it with him all this time.

"I have lots of books. Once you read it, go ahead. Keep it." Stefan told her.

Minerva looks up at him, "Oh, really?"

"Mmhmm."

"Okay...thanks."

Down in the busy adjacent hallway of the school building for juniors, Bonnie, Caroline and Elena are walking side by side as they are talking.

"I'm confused. Are you psychic or clairvoyant?" Caroline asked.

Elena shrugs, "Probably both." She and the blonde laughed cheerfully.

"Technically, Grams says I'm a witch. My ancestors were these really cool Salem witch chicks or something. Grams tried to explain it all, but she was looped on the liquor so I kind of tuned out. Crazy family, yes. Witches? I don't think so." Bonnie denied the entire thing from her grandmother.

Caroline and Elena can't believe what Bonnie's grandmother said anyway.

"Yeah, well, feel free to conjure up the name and number of that guy from last night." Caroline reminded her as she nudges Bonnie's side playfully.