XLIII • THE SUN ALSO RISES

forty-three. the sun also rises

Mystic Falls Woods, Lockwood Cellar

Tyler Lockwood, in wolf form on the night of the full moon, growls and snarls viciously in a morbidly berserk manner at Caroline and Matt, who are on the other side of the old iron gate; the vampire is holding the gate shut with her vamp-strength to protect herself and her own boyfriend from him. If Tyler bit her with only one bite, Caroline will die soon enough after periods of hallucinations and dementia just like what Rose had to undergo after Jules bit her. Although if Matt-- a pure human is bitten, he will probably die soon enough also, or will he turn into a werewolf along with him? Either way, Caroline will not let any of those horrible occurrences come to him.

"Caroline, let me help!" Matt willingly requested her in a panicked state; he will not let this big black wolf touch his girlfriend, despite who the wolf is.

Although Matt Donovan is nothing but a human, powerless and vulnerable. Someone who bleeds too easily, therefore this isn't his fight to begin with. He shouldn't even be friends, let alone date, with a vampire like her. With just only one drop of his blood, she could easily just give in and feed on him. In this case, however, how is he going to provide the aid necessary for this?

Caroline protectively pushes him back from the gate, "Get back, I got it!" As long as she separates the big wolf from them by the gate, they will be safe.

Tyler starts to attack violently, fitting his snout through the metal bars of the iron gate, snapping and snarling like a rabid, berserk animal; Caroline flinches but holds the gate steady. Matt aims the rifle at the wolf, who backs up and attacks for a second time, "Caroline, the door's not going to hold." Even if they are about to die being ripped to shreds by a big wolf, at least they are able to die together. Although he doesn't want to think like that, thus he backs away while resuming to point the gun at Tyler, "Come on!"

Caroline feels like she's about to cry at this very moment, "Tyler, please!" Werewolves definitely are slaves of the moon once it's full, legend has it.

Once Tyler doesn't let up on his violent attack, Matt shoots the wolf with the rifle despite having never shot a gun before; he yelps in pure agony and backs away defensively. Matt is about to shoot him again when a loud, piercing, high-pitched feminine scream of a banshee is heard throughout the whole cellar, which indicates Minerva's unannounced arrival, and Tyler whimpers in even more pain to his ears while Caroline covers her own ears.

"Oh my God." Minerva gasped at the sight of the large black wolf, "Tyler?"

A truly puzzled frown shows up on Matt's horrified expression, "Minerva?"

Caroline turns to her boyfriend, "You shouldn't have shot him, Matt!" Despite being a rabid wolf who's about to rip them to shreds, he's still Tyler.