XLIV • AS I LAY DYING

forty-four. as i lay dying

Gilbert Residence

Gilbert Residence

Elena looks at Jeremy, who's soundly asleep in his bedroom. Then she goes into Jenna's unoccupied bedroom, looks around and walks out, "Rosie."

"It'll get easier. But you knew that." Rosie smiles sympathetically at her and sends a quick glance at the open door of the bedroom, "Are you okay?"

A genuinely tired sigh leaves Elena to hear this typical question and her typical answer which is definitely not true, "Yeah. What are you doing here?"

"I want to apologize...on Damon's behalf." Rosie hesitantly told her, considering her best friend's relationship with Damon remains strained. Although he is tragically dying as well, therefore it doesn't matter anymore.

A truly perplexed frown shows up on Elena's cute face at this response. Damon? Why would Damon Salvatore, the young man who resents her deeply for being his ex-girlfriend's doppelgänger, apologize to her? If he does mean it enough, then why isn't he the one apologizing by himself?

"What? Rosie..."

"Please, Elena. He was feeding you his blood, he was wrong." Rosie stated.

"Yes, he was." Elena nods, "But that wasn't the only horrible thing he did." How could she ever forget the moment when he broke her brother's neck? If Jeremy wasn't wearing the magical ring at that moment, she would be left alone by now, and Damon would be just as horrible as Klaus and Katherine.

Rosie knows that. She knows that Damon Salvatore can be such an impulsive, reckless, selfish person, though it doesn't seem to matter now. "And I know he doesn't deserve your forgiveness, but...I know he needs it." Rosie told her with the true intention that she only wanted to aid Damon.

Why would he finally apologize to her at her most sensitive moment? "And I need some time, maybe a lot of time. Please understand, Rosie."

Rosie nods, "Sure. Of course, take all the time you need."

A gratefully warm smile shows up on Elena's sad face, "Thank you."

****

Mystic Falls Town Square

There's a large hanging main banner reading 'Movie in the Square Presents — Gone With the Wind'. Some of the young girls, most of them are teenagers, are fancily dressed up for the local event. Elena and Jeremy Gilbert are walking through the park, filled with the rest of the townsfolks.

Jeremy looks up at the large banner, "You brought me to see a girl movie." If he's not mistaken, from what he's heard from some girls, the American classic 1939 film is about a manipulative woman and a roguish man carry on a turbulent love affair in the south during the Civil War and Reconstruction. He could be doing anything at the moment other than watching this movie.