XXIV • BRAVE NEW WORLD

twenty-four. brave new world

Mystic Falls High School

Everyone, most of them are the busy teenage juniors and sophomores, is preparing for the upcoming Mystic Falls High School Carnival surrounding the entire main public building. Bonnie and Elena are taking care of everything at one section for the main carnival outside when the former brought up in a comment about the latter's eerie ancestor doppelgänger, who she officially met at Mayor Richard Lockwood's memorial yesterday. The latter, however, doesn't even want to touch on anything unnatural. She has no idea why she looks exactly like her, but she doesn't want to talk about it even a little. She can't obsess about it, or she's going to go crazy.

Meanwhile, Jeremy Gilbert and Stefan are in the main sophomores' hallway section at the former's locker inside the public school building; the vampire gives the underaged, victimized sophomore a vervain bracelet for protection — especially from Damon — a method to actually legitimately harm a vampire, and an important reminder to forget about the unstable blue-eyed vampire and a necessarily significant advice to move forward from his fortunately temporary death, thanks to the resurrection ring from his uncle. It was a good thing he was wearing it, otherwise he would have died permanently. Thanks to Damon, thanks to Katherine, who broke him easily. One more move like so, Stefan is going to murder his ex-girlfriend for good. To protect his brother, and especially to protect his lover. For everyone.

Rosie/Minerva comes over and her boyfriend smiles at her, "Hello Minerva."

"Hey." Rosie/Minerva looks at the sixteen-year-old boy, "Shouldn't you..."

"Yeah, yeah, I set up the gold fish toss all three hundred gold fish." Jeremy spoke the next ones sarcastically, "It's going to be epic!" He walks away.

She shakes her head, chuckling, right after she watches him go.

"He's going to be alright, he's just been through a little bit of an ordeal." Ordeal being the temporary broken neck caused by his impulsive brother.

"Yeah, Damon killed him. I was just hoping that this carnival would reel him back into the land of a high school teenager." Rosie stifles her own laugh.

"That was what we were doing here?" Her lover asked with a small smile.

"Yes, we all are. We're going to be boring high school students who live in a world where the 'V' word is not uttered. Elena knows that." Rosie nods. Obviously, her best friend should know that her brother is sensitively in grief over his ex-fling's permanently horrible death and his friend's absence; that being Anna, who permanently died in the hands of his own protective uncle.