XIV • FOOL ME ONCE

fourteen. fool me once

 fool me once

Motel Room

Rosie/Minerva groggily awakens on a single bed in an unfamiliar room. She spots her kidnapper, Ben, sitting in a chair by the end of the bed, sleeping. She gasps and sits up frantically as she remembers what happened the previous night. Rosie/Minerva looks around for a way out and stares at the closed front door. She looks from Ben to the door, estimating if she can make it without waking him. Quietly, Minerva slides off the bed and slowly steps over Ben's outstretched leg. She slowly backs up to the door, keeping an eye on him. Minerva unlocks the deadbolt on the door, looking back at Ben occasionally. She turns the lock on the door and prepares to open it.

"I wouldn't."

Rosie/Minerva gasps in surprise and quickly spins around to look at him. Her own friend, Ben McKittrick — the local bartender, inches towards her, oblivious that she is actually a hybrid, and uses his new compulsion on her.

"Don't try to escape. Don't even move. Do you understand?"

"I understand." She convinces him that she's human without vervain.

"Who knew the Minerva Devon can be so submissive? Finally." He turns around to get a plastic bottle of fresh blood out of the mini refrigerator.

Rosie/Minerva quickly opens the front door and bolts out, but Anna blocks her escape. Anna grabs Rosie/Minerva by the throat, blocking her ability to scream as well, and pushes her back into the motel room, "Seriously?!"

"I told her not to move! I did that eye thing that you taught me!"

"And forgot the lesson about banshees! She's immune to magic, Ben. Duh!" Anna pushes the hybrid up against a wall and opens the bathroom door.

"Who are you? What do you want?" Rosie/Minerva demanded in pure fright.

Honestly, Annabelle Zhu, a vampire who's over five hundred years old, feels truly in shock and denial that Rosalina Kartwright doesn't remember her, until she mentally reminds herself of the magical amnesia she's enduring while Benjamin doesn't even understand much of anything at this point.

"Does it matter?" Anna forcefully, who's much stronger than her, pushes Rosie/Minerva into the connecting small bathroom and shuts the door.

"Minerva." Elena rushes over towards her as quick as she possibly can, having been kidnapped as well, "Oh my God, I can't believe you're here."

"Elena? They caught you too?" Rosie/Minerva calmly searches the small, wet and slippery bathroom for another possible exit, anywhere.

"Yeah. It turns out, Jeremy's friend is a vampire." Elena pointed out.