XVIII • UNDER CONTROL

eighteen. under control

Gilbert Residence

Gilbert Residence

Rosie/Minerva's polished white Toyota Prius is parked in the open front driveway as the respective hybrid owner is waiting in the driver's seat for her best friend and the younger brother to leave their house for the day, on their way to school. As she sips on her bought hot cappuccino coffee with extra sugar in her seat, Rosie/Minerva sees a familiar young man, who she hasn't seen for a really long time, standing on the front porch of the house.

Inside, Elena is walking through the living room, on her way over to the closed main front door, as she admires her best friend's extra earliness though also genuinely fears if she doesn't make herself punctual enough.

She stops at at the bottom of the main staircase to call out, "Come on, Jeremy, going to school! Minerva's here! Walking out the door now!"

"Forgot this." Aunt Jenna gives her rushing young niece a thermos.

"Thank you." Elena, with a small and quick smile, opens the front door to see the extremely familiar young man, with a tall but slim six feet stature with clear blue eyes and short light brown hair, who is just about to knock.

The young man smiles once he sees the seventeen-year-old, "Elena!"

"Uncle John! Hi." Elena puts on a fake smile for her father's brother.

John, Jonathan Gilbert II, looks at the young woman inside, "Jenna."

Jenna Sommers puts on a fake smile in pursuit, "John, you made it."

"I said I'll be here before noon." John steps over the main threshold.

"Oh, what you say and what you do are typically two very different things." His older brother's sister-in-law stated out, seeing him as a nuisance.

Jeremy Gilbert finally comes down the stairs, "Uncle John, what's up?"

Jonathan looks over at his one and only friendly young nephew, "Hey!"

Jeremy slaps him on the shoulder and speed-walks out towards his sister's impatiently waiting best friend in the parked Prius, into the back seat.

"I had some business in town; I thought that a visit was in order."

"How long are you staying?" Elena questioned him, frowning in distaste.

John shakes his head a little in response, "I don't know yet."

"Okay, well, I'm going to go to school, I'll see you later." Elena walks out to follow after her brother; her aunt looks at her and closes the front door.