XX • BLOOD BROTHERS

twenty. blood brothers

Mystic Falls Woods, Virginia, 1864

The entire small town, most of them are the Founding families, is capturing any vampires in sight in the dark night time with pitch forks and torches.

"We have to get to the church. They're waiting."

A human Stefan, who's watching the men close by, turns to his brother with a hasty plan, "Circle around that way. I'll distract them. Go." He turns to the group of hunting men, "Over here! There's another one! Quick! Help me!"

"Prepare yourselves." Philip Kartwright advised the crowd as the leader.

The group of men follow Stefan, who is actually leading them away from a human Damon. Only one young man is standing guard over the carriage containing the vampires, prepared to be brought over to the local Fell's church for the massacre. Damon hits him and knocks him down, unconscious, right before his brother returns to his aid. Damon quickly grabs the keys out of the man's trousers' pocket and unlocks the carriage.

"We don't have long." Stefan warned him since the group of men will come back in the younger Salvatore's pursuit of 'another loose vampire'.

"Katherine. Katherine."

Damon and Stefan lift Katherine out of the carriage. They untie her tight, vervained restraints and take off the muzzle that covers her mouth.

"We're going to get you out of here. Damon, hurry. Hurry."

Damon is suddenly shot out of nowhere, and he instantly dies; Stefan rushes over to his dying brother in shock and horror, "No! No. Damon."

"Come on. Let's go." One of the men comes back to capture vampires.

Stefan runs and grabs a gun, but he is shot down too. Although, as he takes his final breath, the younger Salvatore is able to hear the loud, high-pitched feminine scream of a witness; a scream which indicates death from none other than a young, extremely familiar banshee — Kalista Kartwright.

****

Salvatore Boarding House, Basement Cellar

Stefan is drifting in and out between the present and past for days now due to his lack of blood since he was imprisoned in there by Damon and Rosie.