IX • HISTORY REPEATING

nine. history repeating

Mystic Falls High School

Outside, Caroline, Elena and Rosie/Minerva are walking towards the main school building since they arrived together, though through individual cars. Caroline from using her own black Mazda to get there, while both Elena and Rosie/Minerva come to their destination using the older latter's white Prius.

"Have either of you even talked to Bonnie?" Elena asked in deep concern.

"No, I've been busy lately." Rosie/Minerva reminded her again that she is a senior as she begins to feel annoyed again, earning her an apologetic look.

Caroline replied, "No, I'm mad at her. She needs to make the first move." She still can't believe that their stubborn best friend refused to return the old amber crystal to her in order for her to give it to an ungrateful person.

"Be the bigger person." Elena advised their blonde best friend.

Caroline scoffs in disbelief and rolls her eyes, "Impossible in her presence."

"Hmm. Why are you so pissed at her anyway?" Rosie/Minerva asked, curious as always, "I mean, not that she makes anyone else less pissed."

"She's a thief, that's why. I gave her my necklace, and she refuses to give it back. It's a matter of principle." The blonde Forbes girl complained.

"Or the matter of principle states that your necklace is actually her necklace." Minerva pointed out, looking at the bigger picture of the issue.

"Oh, great. Now you're on her side." Caroline snapped, even more annoyed.

Elena breathes out a tired sigh, "Alright. Well, I tried. I'm officially out of it."

"Good. Your turn. Where's Stefan? Have you talked to him?" Caroline asked.

"He's avoiding me." Elena pointed out the condition of their relationship.

"Why?"

Elena hesitates as she tries to think of what she can say, "...It's complicated."

The bell rings, giving Minerva an excuse to leave, "I'll see you girls later."

"Bye." Elena simply waves her goodbye with a big smile on her lovely face.

Rosie/Minerva walks alone inside of the school building and immediately speed-walks into the senior section, leaving Caroline and Elena way behind. In the AP History classroom, Rosie/Minerva sits down in her usual seat in the front row near one of her senior friends as a new unidentified young man, the new teacher, prepares for his first class with his new senior students.

"Good morning, everyone. Alright-y." Alaric writes his full name with all capitals on the chalkboard, "Alaric Saltzman. It's a mouthful, I know. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Saltzman is of German origins. My family emigrated here in 1755 to Texas. I, however, was born and raised in Boston. Now the name Alaric belongs to a very dead great-grandfather I will never be able to thank enough. You'll probably want to pronounce 'Alaric' but it's 'Alaric', okay? So, you can call me Rick. I'm your new History teacher."