XXIII • THE RETURN

twenty-three. the return

Mystic Falls Hospital

Matt is sitting alone outside, on the waiting bench in the hallway, of his girlfriend's medical room, deeply concerned for her major condition after the car accident, caused by Tyler by the noise from the 'deactivated' Gilbert device. Although Matt Donovan, being an ordinary human boy, remains oblivious and confused of the dark reality of the town in which he is living in. The guilty Bonnie and Rosie/Minerva, deeply concerned for their injured blonde best friend, show up side by side and speed-walk over to him.

"Hey, how is Caroline?" The senior student asked, frowning in concern.

"We got here as soon as we got the message." Her best friend nods a little.

"She's not good. Are you here with your mom?" Matt asked the hybrid.

"Yeah, she's with the Sheriff out at the front." Rosie/Minerva replied.

"What happened, exactly?" The other junior asked even though she has been told by the overheard hybrid that it was a major car accident.

"We were driving and Tyler heard this noise and he got..."

"A noise?" Bonnie asked him, frowning as she recognizes the main source being the 'deactivated' anti-vampire device; how could Tyler be a vampire?

Although if Tyler Lockwood is a vampire, he would have known that Stefan and Damon are just like him, followed by Rosie/Minerva. Therefore, it's quite certain that he is definitely not a vampire, but he's something else... Otherwise, why would his father — Mayor Richard Lockwood — be rounded up with the rest of the vampires in that basement? They are not vampires, because as much as she remembers, vervain doesn't cause them harm.

"He got this migraine or something and he lost control of the car and...I thought that Caroline was fine and then...and then she wasn't, so..."

Cassie and Sheriff Forbes, close friends, are talking at the hospital desk about the latter's daughter's condition in concern, most regarding about the highly suspicious car accident, when Damon walks over to them in arrival.

"Liz, I came as soon as I got the message. Is she okay?"

"She's in surgery, it's...they're doing everything they can. I need your help, Damon." The deeply concerned blonde sheriff mother requested.

"Sure, anything, Liz."

"Will you excuse us, Cassie?" Liz nods at her friend before she moves a distant space from her with the vampire, alone, "Mayor Lockwood is dead. They thought he was a vampire. They put him in the basement." The body was entirely burned to a crisp, so how is she supposed to tell Carol?