Chapter 41

"I just know I'm going to get the house in Milan. I can feel it in my bones"

"I doubt it, do you even have anymore real bones in your body or are they just all plastic?"

"At least mum gave me enough money to get enhancements, can't say she ever did the same for you"

"Oh you just think you're the favourite Cordelia but let me tell you, mum never liked you" I heard my Uncle Charles sneer at my Aunt Cordelia.

"Bullshit! This is a day to commemorate mum's passing and your pointing fingers at who her favourite was" she gasped "shame on you! We all know it was me anyway" she boasted like a modest hypocrite.

Although all my family is Australian, they all lived abroad. Some in Europe, some in USA and even some in the Middle East and Asia, but before her passing nana bought this great old home which is actually near Billie's and said for the will reading to be here. So her kids and their kids hopped on planes to LA for the reading, which is today.

And like I expected hell has broken loose.

In the other corner of the room was mum and Aunt Rebecca plotting about who was getting what in nana's will while all my cousins and other relatives were arguing about what shares, estates and company stakes they were for sure going to be given.

It's all a load of fucking bullshit, the only reason I'm here was upon the request of nana's lawyer who said it'd be in my best interest to attend the reading out of the will. Whatever that meant.

But now I'm sat in the back of the room with Billie who I dragged along with me against her own will. Pun not intended. But it backfired against me when only one cousin noticed her presence and decided to latch herself onto Billie even though she can plainly see us holding hands. And my legs are literally thrown over Billie's and I'm cuddled up into her side with my head in her neck like always.

"So are you from around here?" my slutty cousin Serena asked Billie while I closed my eyes and prayed this would be over soon.

"Yeah, actually not too far from here" she said before kissing my cheek making me flutter my eyes open "do you want me to get anything for you baby?"

"No I'm good Bil, thanks thoug—"

"How far away? Mind giving me a tour? I'd love to see more of LA" Serena spoke again. Hitting on my Billie again despite the clear displays of affection.

"When was the last time you got your eyes checked Serena?" I asked, talking to her for the first time in years. Like the rest of this family I've never gotten along with Serena, not only is she annoying but she's also dense.

And not just 'I can't tie my shoelaces up' dense, but more 'I need Velcro on my shoes' dense. I remember when we were in our early teens at some family event, I watched her put ramen in the microwave without water which she apparently forgot and almost burnt the kitchen down!

"Um that's so out of context Ellie, but I actually have fourty-fourty vision" she sassed me making Billie howl with laughter and I snorted at the density of this girl. How I'm related to any of these morons I have no idea.

"It's twenty-twenty vision you nimrod and I suggest you get your eyes tested" I told her and repositioned myself on Billie's shoulder "I better get some damn chicken nuggets after this baby"

"You will, I promise" Billie patted my ass softly and left it there to rest.

The door of the large in-home library swung open and who I'm presuming is nana's lawyer walked in with a team of people hot on his trail.

"Josephine King's family?" he asked and sat at the desk in the middle of the room.

Everyone went quiet for the first time in years. No more gossiping and whispering. No more yelling and arguing. No more screaming and crying. Just total bliss. But it's probably not for long so I'll just soak it in now.