1- The call that started it all...

"Come on Makena, do it for me! You know you want to! " She begs me over the phone, trying really hard to convince me to call her crush and talk to him. She always manages to talk me into doing things that will get me in trouble with my Mom. Last year we decided to sneak out when she was sleeping over that night... Needless to say, we got caught. I got grounded and never heard the end of it.

"Trinity, I'm not so sure..." I say softly. You see this boy, the one she's trying to get me to call. He belongs to the crowd that is popular, you know which one I mean. He was friends with all the boys every girl wanted to be with, and every boy wanted to be. He was also the kind of player that always seemed to have a different girl on his arm every few weeks.

I have tried to tell her that she could do better, but she won't listen to me. It's as if she only sees him. She was constantly fantasizing about how it would be like to be his girl, always saying he'd never need another woman if he'd just give her a chance. She knew how to treat her man, to keep him.

"I promise it will be alright, we will block your number! He won't even know that it's you unless you tell him. I will explain how to do it!" She replied.

"Oh really, how?" I ask, my eyes rolling toward my ceiling.

"All you have to do is hit *77 before you dial his number!" She says sweetly. I felt so out of place at the moment, you see I am actually a quiet shy go with the flow type. Never would you expect me to do something like this, it made my heart race just thinking about it.

"Trin, this guy doesn't even seem to know that you exist! Why do you do this to yourself?" I question her, worried about the reaction this guy might have.

"Oh, he knows that I exist, that's true. I actually thought he might like me, I was walking behind him and Jesse in the hallway between classes the other day and heard them talking."

"You probably shouldn't listen in to someone else's conversations" I reply, rolling my eyes at the ceiling, as she amazes me some days with her knowledge-gathering skills. She told me once she could read lips, but I've never tested that claim.

"I know... but anyway, Mak they were talking about a girl that they both find very cute!" I do the eye roll again because naturally, this mystery girl must be her, right?

"Ruben told Jesse, that the girl they were talking about had been to his church a few times! Mak, I go to his church! You know this, you have come with me... I'm pretty sure that one of us is the girl they were talking about! I have to know if it's me, no offense girl, but I'm sure hoping it's me and not you!" She says excitedly, I stare out my window trying to decide if it's a good enough risk for me to make this phone call.

"Trin, that girl could be anyone. Don't get your hopes up!"

"I know, but! I can't call because he's blocked my number. Please, Mak, do it for me." She begs over the phone as I let out a small chuckle.

"Okay fine, I'll help! I'll make that stupid phone call!"

"Oh yay, great. Let's do it three way! Then I will hear what he says for myself!" She exclaims enthusiastically.

"Well, that might actually help my nerves," I say as my stomach drops to the floor and my heart races. I silently hoped she wouldn't hear my heartbeat through the phone.

"Oh, no problem! I just want to hear his voice. It's so dreamy." I roll my eyes again. I must have set a record for eye-rolling today... I put her on hold while I dial his number.

"Hello, Trin. Are you still there?" I whisper.

"I will mute myself while I listen so he cannot hear me at all." She whispers back...