23- Dressing up to impress him

Makena's POV

Stepping back into the room I paused as I caught his eyes. He was sitting at the desk tucked in by the window, which must have been added during the renovation. He gives me a serious look and says, "So, are you going to keep testing me? Testing my patience with you?"

I look at him, I see that he wants an honest answer, and I know that if he doesn't like the answer I give, then more than likely he'll put me back in the basement. Back into the shackles, which are so painful. Back into the cold, when I finally feel the warmth. "I think I am done with trying to run from you, Jesse! It's not worth it, as you'll just catch me and punish me." I whisper, hanging my face low. I honestly believe that he defeated me this time, so I admit that he did win. I didn't feel the need to run... I have admitted that he had won.

He stands up, closing the distance between us. He grabs my hands and raises them up to his mouth, placing a gentle kiss on the back of each one. Then he says, "I have a gift for you!"

I watch as he opens the top drawer of his side of the dresser to reveal one of those little black boxes. You know the one I'm talking about, the one every woman dreams of and hopes for with all her heart. But right now, I don't have the butterflies in my stomach or the nervous unbearable feeling you get the second you realize that the one you love is about to pop the question. I felt such dread, I wanted to bawl my eyes out because I knew deep down in my heart that I would never be able to get out of this situation. I wanted to scream out at him, pound my fists on his chest. Was he really going to force me to marry him?

Opening the box in front of my face, he reveals a stunning five-karat diamond engagement ring. It was princess cut with a white gold band. The ring looked to be worth quite a bit, I watched as he took it out of its box and slipped it on my finger. Evidently, he was not going to offer me a proper proposal because he already knew which direction it would go. But still, shouldn't I be asked that question before the ring is on my finger? Isn't that the tradition?

He smiles at me, "See, it looks wonderful on you!" pulling me into him cupping his hand under my chin he nudges my face upward where his lips meet mine. The kiss started out slowly, but he began to deepen it the moment he beckoned me with his teeth and tongue. When my lips parted, his tongue entered my mouth and ravaged it. He tasted like a mix of mint and coffee, his scent of oak and vanilla overwhelming my senses as he continued to kiss me passionately. Playing along I reach up and run my fingers through his soft hair.

He pulls away and peers into my face. He smiles softly as he brushes some loose hairs. He tucks them behind my ear as I let out a soft sigh. "What's wrong, my love?"

I smile, "Nothing is wrong, I promise." Other than wishing he'd stop kissing me like that, everything was fine.

He studied my face, I could tell he wasn't ready to give up on figuring out what was wrong with me. "Tell me, Makena!" He whispered.

I wanted to look away from him, but instead, I stared deeply into his eyes as I softly spoke, "Jesse, as I said before, I am tired of trying to run away and fight against you."

I watch as his mouth curves slightly, "and?"

"You're right, all you've done is to love me and care for me. I am very appreciative of it, Jesse." I spoke with such sincerity in my voice, I almost believed it myself.

"I am so happy that you have come to this understanding. I hate having to punish you. You have no idea how happy you just made me." He says calmly. I send him a warm smile as he continues to stare into my face. He still held me in place, so I knew he was not finished talking to me. "I mean how many men really get the woman of their dreams? Seems I really have everything I want!" He flashed me a dazzling devilish smile.