5- Ignoring him

Standing at my locker, I felt his gaze burning into my back. It has been months since the last encounter when he returned to my house for the second time. When my mother put him in his place. Homecoming was Saturday and I heard that it was so much fun, I didn't go but everyone wanted to share their dance stories with me anyway. His constant gaze fixated on me always left me feeling uncomfortable; I was always feeling so unsettled knowing he was watching me closely with my friends while we hung out at my locker. My locker has become our little meeting place. Everyone came here, some knew why but not everyone did.

This year, because my locker was next to Ruben's, he started hanging out there more. Since he and Jesse were right next to mine, the rest of their gang naturally started hanging out there too. I hated having my locker right next to his, and I even tried to move my locker, but the main office wouldn't let me. Despite the fact she was a Junior and we weren't supposed to share lockers, Suri agreed to share one anyway because she didn't want me to deal with those guys on my own.

One day before classes, we were all hanging around my locker laughing at jokes and talking about things. Jake knowing the entire back story made sure he was always around. Jake was built like a brick house, so whenever he was around people tended to leave him alone. Suri and I knew it was just his outer shell; inside he was a soft teddy bear willing to help if he had to. While we stood there laughing, I noticed Ruben and Jesse make their way toward Ruben's locker while chuckling out loud.

"Psst, Makena your boyfriends are watching you again!" Now I knew he was just teasing me, but the comment just ticked me off.

"What did you say? He's not my boyfriend, you of all people should know this!" I screamed in his face, shoving him away from me. When he fell over, I was surprised, and I could tell he was too, because he did nothing for a second and just stared up at me. I was fuming mad; my friends never played that joke on me. They all knew I hated him, so I didn't even bother to ask if he was okay. I just walked away, right past Jesse who appeared to be watching me with interest.

I walk to my first class of the day; I had chemistry with none other than Jesse Campbell. That day, he sat right next to me. I did my best to ignore him, but he wasn't taking the hint. He got angry. "So I have a question..."

I kept silent, trying to pay attention to the lesson the teacher was giving about cells.

"So why did he say that today?" he asks, nudging at my side as the teacher shows a video segment on molecules dividing.

"You heard what he said?" I turn my attention to him, looking into his face with wide eyes.

"Yep, I was kind of within earshot," he whispers, sending me one of his cocky grins.

I rolled my eyes towards the ceiling. "Apparently, people love to make jokes about shit they shouldn't!" I shook my head and asked for the hall pass. I have to get out of there, because being near him always made me feel nervous and trapped somehow.

Once I was in the hallway, I let out a big sigh. Why couldn't I just catch a break? I decided to go into the women's restroom since that was the excuse I gave to my teacher. I splashed some cold water on my face, because I really needed to clear my head.

Walking back out of the bathroom, I bump into something hard. So hard that I am knocked to the ground, hearing a deep laugh, I look up to see Ruben standing in my way. He reaches out to me, as he continues to laugh.

"You should watch where you're going, you could seriously hurt yourself if you don't." He smiles down into my face, I put my hand in his and let him help me back up. Standing up, I brush off my pants and bend down to pick up my hall pass.

I turn to walk away, but feel as he places his hand on my shoulder stopping me from leaving. I sigh a little and turn around to face him. "What?"

"I think I should tell you something," he says cautiously.