29- Pretending to love him is never fun

Makena's POV

I had put on an elegant black dress for tonight and was looking out the window into the pool beneath, watching the water ripple with the wind when I heard the door open. After a minute or so, I heard him clear his throat and turned to face him; he looked pissed off for some reason. When I saw the anger in his eyes, I tensed up. I backed up slowly, trying to maintain some space between us. I didn't know what he was angry about, or what made him look at me the way he did, but mentally, I was preparing myself for the worst.

I glance at him quizzically. "Come on, Makena, you have guests!" he growls.

"What?"

"Just hurry up, they're waiting for you!" he said, sounding so frustrated. I watched as he stepped out of the way, allowing me to leave the room on my own. As I stepped around him, he grabbed and tugged at my arm. Pulling me back into his chest, he placed his lips near my ear as he whispered, "Remember our story, don't get any bright ideas. The story stays the same as we told it to the reporter." he growled, sending shivers down my spine as he spoke.

"Y-yes..."

"Good girl, you get one warning. Don't make me hurt them; you are mine and will remain mine," he growled, his tone confusing me. I don't understand why he is acting this way.

As he led me to the grand staircase, he laced his fingers around mine. I noticed Suri and Jake standing by the door as we descended the stairs. It was because of them that he acted that way. I looked at my best friend, I wanted to run up to her and tell her everything that had happened. I wanted to tell her every little detail of what he had put me through. But I knew her life was at risk, and I couldn't do it. I continued to pretend to love this man.

Although Jake is a police detective, I knew that compared to his money and power, he was no match for Jesse. There was no way that he could help me. If he killed them, he'd punish me for making him do it. Instead, I chose to remain silent regarding all of it and stick to Jesse's story.

"Oh, Makena you have no idea how much I worried about you! Why didn't you think I would understand that you wanted to give Jesse a chance? I was the one who told you to go ahead and do it!" Suri said pulling me into a tight hug. She didn't want to let go either.

"You did?" Jesse asked, a bit confused, and she nodded to him.

As I turned to look at Jake, still engulfed in Suri's hug, I noticed he was shifting his stance. I could tell he was uncomfortable standing here and I watched him try to hide his glares at Jesse. I wanted to smile at him because I could tell that his cop brain must be working overtime right now. He smiled at me, and after Suri finally released me I gave him a small hug. It was a stiff hug, not like any he has ever given me before.

I glance up into Jesse's face as he sends me a soft smile back. "Well, this is awkward!" he smirks through a smirk.

"Did you literally just say that right now?" Jake asks while giving him a cheesy smile.

"Yes, I did."

"Jesse, should we maybe go and sit down somewhere?" I ask him, slipping my hand back into his and smiling up at him. Had to keep playing the part.

"Oh umm," he starts and looks back at Suri and Jake, scratching his head, "Yeah I asked Mary to take you guys to the living room! She didn't do that?" he asks them.

"Mary? Oh, that's your housekeeper or maid right?" Suri asks with a smile on her face.

"Yeah."

"Oh, well she did ask us but we declined the invitation, I told her that I would wait right here. I knew that you guys would be coming down the stairs, and I didn't want to miss this chance to see her." Suri explains to Jesse.