24- Seeing where he really lives

Makena's POV

"What? How?" I asked him, really curious to know how she had managed to get out of here and away from him.

"Oh nevermind that Makena, we have to get going!" He growled out at me as he pulled a pair of cuffs out of his back pocket and placed them on my wrists behind my back and cuffing them together. He sits me down on the edge of the bed and rushes around the room grabbing his stuff. I watch as he grabs his laptop and shoves it into a bag. I watch as he races through the room grabbing clothes and other things and stuffing them into a few duffle bags. Then, he glides back over to me and pulls me with him out of the room and all the way down the stairs. Rushing out to his truck, he helps me up into the passenger seat. I watch as he buckles me up and places the bags on the ground next to my feet. Glancing out the window, I noticed Ruben doing the exact same thing with Sarah.

I watch him closely as he walks around the truck climbing behind the wheel, jamming the key into the ignition. I hear the truck roar to life, as he floors the gas pedal, pulling away from the house. I glance at him as he races frantically down the road; I didn't know why he was acting this way. He made me so nervous as he avoided cars and bikers while he sped down the freeway as if he knew something, something bad.

"Jesse, what is happening?" I ask him.

"I am sorry, my love, but I cannot lose you because of Curtis's stupidity."

I didn't say anything back to him because I was too focused on not throwing up. You see, I suffer from motion sickness and usually suffer when someone drives this way; there are times when I take pills to get through it or if I am going on a bumpy ride.

I widen my eyes as he pulls up to a massive estate complete with a gated entrance. I watched in shock as he pulled up near the keypad and punched in a code that opened up the gates wide to let him pull in. Watching him pull up the long brick driveway, I could see more of the house coming into view. It was a huge, white stucco exterior and at least three floors high. It was very grand, and I could tell that it was a beautiful home just from what I could see through the darkness.

I glance back at him, he was studying me carefully with a smile spreading across his face. "So, yeah, this is where I live. That's the place where the cops searched for you; it's the only one I own in my own name. I wasn't planning to bring you here until after the wedding, but after everything that happened with Abby, my plans had to change a bit. I hope you enjoy being with me here."

I watch as he jumps out of the truck, walking to my door opening it, and helping me down. Gripping my handcuffs he guides me into his humongous home. Walking through the giant entryway, we approach the grand staircase. He takes me up the stairs one by one, turning as he gets to the top towards a set of double doors. Opening the doors he reveals a huge bedroom, it was so much bigger and grander than the one I had been staying in before. In the middle of the room sat a huge king-sized bed. The walls were painted in eggshell with white trim, furnishing was all white in color with subtle shades of black and grey tones, it was an exquisite room. "This is my room, you are welcome to use it while I figure things out," he announced reaching behind me releasing my cuffs before walking out of the room closing the door softly. Once again, I heard the click of a lock and knew he had locked me in the room, of course, he did.

I had no idea what the situation was, why did he bring me here? Looking around the room I noticed a TV above a fireplace opposite of the bed, spotting the remote on one of the nightstands. I take it off the stand, turn on the TV, and notice that the local news is showing an unidentified male being talked about in a bulletin that reads 'BODY FOUND NEAR SMALL POND' and turn up the volume. Police officers claimed that there were suspicious circumstances; the crime scene flashed on the screen as I remembered standing close to the pond not long ago when I was there. I could see the electrical fence right there on the screen since it was near the house I had just left.

Then I knew something horrible must have happened near the pond, I had a strong feeling that they had found Curtis's body. I wondered if Jesse was capable of murder, and then Abby came into my mind. What would he do if they found her now? Many things began to pop into my mind, scaring me even more of all the possibilities. I was so deep in thought, I didn't hear the door open. I hadn't seen her coming towards me. "Hello, Miss!" a shorter plump older lady with a nice smile says as she touches my shoulder lightly trying to get my attention.

I jumped up immediately and screamed so loud you could probably hear it outside this huge house and saw her flinch at my little scream.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to scare you miss." She whispers.

"Oh my, I didn't hear you come in! I'm so sorry!" I whisper softly, feeling bad that I frightened her, too.

"It's just fine, Master told me to bring you your super Miss. He said you haven't eaten yet today?" She asks holding up one of those butler trays.

"Oh yeah... Of course, no I haven't, I'm starving!" I mutter as my stomach lets out a growl. I laugh as she removes the lid from the tray, a healthy serving of Lasagna, Salad, and a breadstick is revealed. I began to eat the meal, almost forgetting about my manners as I began to eat it.

She patiently waits for me to finish before gathering up the dirty dishes. "All done Miss?" she asks as I nod my head. "What is your name?" I ask, offering to help her with my mess.

"My name is Mary, dear! I am Mr. Campbell's housekeeper!" she says softly, batting at my hands and shoving me away. "This isn't a job for a woman of the house, Master Campbell would get mad if he saw..." she cuts herself off as she rushes out the door, I hear no lock click after her. I walk up to the door and turn the knob. I smile as it turns freely, so I wasn't locked in at the moment. However, remembering the last punishment he made me endure and not knowing what gadgets he might have, I decided to stay put in this room he's put me in. I wasn't sure what happened with Curtis, and I didn't want anything bad to happen to me now.

I decided to turn the TV back on... the news was still on, and a new banner flashed across the screen. "Second Body Found Near Pond, Unidentified Female in Suspicious Circumstances" Oh my god... I think, covering my mouth with my hand, as they announce the identity of the male. He has been identified by his fingerprints as 31-year-old Curtis Evans. I was starting to freak out, so I decided to turn off the TV... I did not want to piss Jesse off any more than I needed to and I really wanted to know what exactly had happened down there.

I hear the door open, then I hear his footsteps approaching me as I sit on the edge of his bed. He clears his throat trying to get my attention. I could see the anger brewing in his eyes, I immediately jumped up into a standing position with my hands in front of me. Ruben was standing close by and I wondered what was going on?

"So Mary told me you watched the news earlier, I thought I told you no electronic devices?" he retorts, folding his arms across his chest.

"You did, but then it was there and I sensed that something bad was going on... I just wanted to know what was going on," I replied, keeping my eyes down.

"Yeah, but there's a reason why there are rules Makena!" he growls.

"So you can keep your damn secrets?" I yell back at him, and he let out a huff.

"No Makena, it's so I can protect you from what you shouldn't have to know."

"Oh, yeah?" I scream out. I see his hands drop to his sides, clenching in fists, and he takes a deep breath.

"Look, I can explain everything," he says in his usual cold tone, motioning towards the TV.

"Okay, then tell me what happened?"