4- Wait... Does he like me?

Jesse grins smugly at me, and I accept his hand and he helps me up. I wipe off my clothing and turn to face him. "Fine, you caught me. What do you want to discuss?" I roll my eyes at him, bracing myself for the worst.

"Well, I'm really not sure what to say, but I wanted to know what it is you have against me?" He smiles, still holding onto my hand. I tried to pull it away from him as I realized that, but he tightened his grip on it instead of not letting me get away again.

"You scare me!" I left it simple, refusing to look into his face I look down the street. "Can I please have my hand back?"

"I'm not going to hurt you Makena, I have no intention of doing anything to cause you harm. Instead, I was kinda hoping you'd consider going with me to the homecoming dance!" He spoke softly like he was trying really hard to not be threatening.

"What?" I was in total shock, I watch as he kicks at a wood chip that had come out of it's a flower bed. Why on earth would he be asking me, of all girls to the first Dance of our Senior year? And why on earth was he acting so nervous, besides the school year hadn't even started yet. But I did have a good excuse to give him. "I can't, I'm sorry!"

I watch as he jerks his head up and glared at me, "What? Why not?"

"Well, I'm actually kind of grounded until Christmas!" I spoke softly, my hand was so warm in his. I didn't understand the feeling I was feeling holding his hand like this. I hated being grounded, but it seemed to be helping me with this little situation.

"Really, wow! Whatever did you do to get grounded for so long?" He sounded surprised.

"Does it really matter? Plus, I really don't have a dress!"

"Well, honestly I could and would buy you a dress. But I don't think I could help you get ungrounded, even just for the one night. This really sucks, I was sure hoping to take you." I could see anger cloud his eyes.

"Can I ask you a question?" I ask as he glares at me, but he shrugs his shoulders.

"Sure..."

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why do you want me to go to some dance with you? Don't you hate me or something like that?" I tried to speak as clearly as I could, even though I felt my body start to tremble as I yet again was doing something out of my comfort zone. I knew he could probably feel it too and was a little surprised when he didn't mention it at all.

"No, I don't hate you Makena, I could never hate you! Why would you even think something like that?" He sounded so shocked, maybe a little hurt.

"Well, because of how you treat me!" I mumble out softly, I again try to pull my hand out of his. He releases it this time, and I look up into his eyes.

"Makena, I don't hate you! It's actually the complete opposite." I glare at him, daring him to say anything else. But he didn't seem to want to say anything else, so turning his attention towards Ruben he growls out... "Let's go, I did what I came to do. I got my answer, there's nothing else for me here."

I flinch at his last statement, but I stood there and held my breath until they got inside their car and drove away in the opposite direction from me. I let out the breath I was holding upon realizing I had just survived another weird run-in with Jesse Campbell.

After about five minutes, I began walking again. I knew I had to get home soon or I would be grounded for longer. Every time I saw that guy it's been a terrifying or horrible experience, but today everything felt totally different and that's why I'm confused to no end.

When I walked in the door, I noticed my mom was already home from work and cooking dinner. Dropping my bag next to her, I explain everything I learned during my camping adventure with the youth group from church. I learned a lot and had a great time. I was so thankful my mom let me go even though I was supposed to be grounded.