27- The interview that will set me free

After all of us had sat down, "Let me introduce my lovely fiancée Miss Makena Kiindell," he says happily to the reporter. I looked at him in shock, narrowing my eyes at him. Clearly trying to figure out what he was doing, I look back at the reporter and shake his hand, not saying a word out loud. "Makena and I actually knew each other in high school, and we were never sweethearts back then, even though I wish she had looked at me differently and given me a chance." He says holding up his fingers, he laces them up into mine. "But I was stupid, I let her go. She was the girl I admired the most, but I never had the courage to ask her out. I'm glad I ran into her now, and that she's willing to give me a chance."

"Mr. Campbell isn't it true that she was reported missing just a few months ago" the reporter asks, beaming the camera into his face, I can tell that he wasn't too pleased to have it there. I swallowed hard, I had no idea what he was going to say. I silently hoped he was going to bury himself in an answer to his question.

"Yes, that is correct, and I can honestly tell you why she and I went missing. Is it not true that the search for her was also postponed after her family received a letter from her? Who do you think made her write that letter, I wonder? I told her to let them know she was safe, that she was fine. We were just on a little trip that ended up going longer than I had originally planned. We were trying to get to know each other again." Jesse says with a cool, calm, collected tone.

"Where did you guys go on your trip? That was a long trip!" he asks, raising his eyebrows at Jesse, as I stare between their faces.

"Well, I took her on a small cruise onboard my very own yacht. We were actually out of the service area a lot on the trip, so I did not know she was reported missing until I got back a few days ago!" he explains, making a fairly plausible account for me missing the past several months and with little contact.

"Then, tell me, why did the cops inform you about her disappearance? They even have a report of your interview on file! What's really going on here, Mr. Campbell?" the reporter inquired of him, he did not seem to be buying what Jesse was saying to him. Not completely, anyway, and that little fact made me happy as a camper. I wanted it all to be revealed, I wanted him in trouble, but because of his warning against my family, I stayed silent as he talked and explained everything to the reporter.

"She asked me to keep quiet because she wanted some alone time. I told the police that I didn't know her whereabouts, because that is what she asked me to do." he growls, I know he was irritated.

"okay then moving on, tell me how you proposed to her?" I watched as he put pen to paper and prepared to take notes for his article.

"So, when I proposed a few nights ago, it was actually our last night out on the boat, we were both dressed up in our finest clothing. We had a romantic candle-lit dinner. I went down on one knee and popped the question right there. When she said yes, I knew I had to tell the world I was off the market and called you. How else do you tell the world you're in love and about to be married?" He says smiling over at me, bringing my hand close to his mouth he places a warm kiss on top, showing off the ring on my finger. The reporter takes a picture of my beautiful ring.

"Okay, fine, so I would like to hear it all from her, in her own words?" the reporter says, raising a single eyebrow as he stared at me silently waiting for me to speak. Jesse nudged me and squeezed my hand as a warning. I then turned my attention to the gentleman seated in front of me.

"You want me to explain everything in my own words?" I asked, unsure of what to say. I hoped I was doing what he wanted, but before I could...

"Yes, that's what I want, come on now, the world wants to hear from you. We all want to know where you've been. So tell us, tell us what has actually happened to you over the past several months, " he asks, staring at Jesse closely, he holds a recorder up towards me. He also had a camcorder running as well as a camera for photos. This guy was prepared.