Epilogue

Three weeks later...

I stare in the mirror, I knew I looked haggard, and I didn't care. I was so depressed and mad at the world for her being gone. I was supposed to appear in court in a few hours, but I hadn't checked on her status for a few days, so I decided to call. I grab my cell phone and punch in the numbers for the cop I knew well by now, the cop who was stationed outside her hospital room. "Hello?" I heard his tired voice come over the phone, I'd done this many times so I knew he recognized my voice.

"Hey dude," I start...

"Oh hey Jesse, how are you? I heard the service was very good," he interjected.

"It was a really nice service, I am doing about as well as you might expect someone who has lost their other half to be doing," I roll my eyes towards the ceiling, I mean really. "How about her? Has there been any progress?" I ask him.

"Sorry, she still has not woken up, but there is more activity on her scans, so there is still hope," he replied. "I wonder why she hasn't woken up by now. I only shot her in the shoulder with the bullet. It shouldn't have caused her to go into a coma-like this!" I yell out, flustered, this whole situation truly upset me as I wanted her to pay for Makena's life. Let her suffer the way I was suffering, I clenched my fists at my side. 

Here I was headed to court to face my crimes against Makena and Sarah. If the Jury found me guilty, which, in honesty, I am, I will be sent to jail. I will do that for Makena because I owe her at least that much. Maybe someday I will see justice against Charlie for stealing my wife and my son.

A couple of hours later... 

Court 

"Have the jurors reached a decision against the defendant?" I heard the judge ask after he slammed his mallet against the desk in front of him. He stared at the jurors with such curiosity, I was sure this was quite a unique situation. I turn my head towards them and silently watch as they all stand up, I watch as the one in charge quietly approaches the bench with a piece of paper in hand. He was shaking as he handed it to the Judge, and I immediately felt that it was a bad sign.

"We have your honor!" he says as he turns to face the court.

"Will the defendant please rise as I announce the findings of the court?" The judge growls out towards me. Then he turns his attention back to the guy standing in front of him. "What say you?"

I gulp in air as I wait to hear what my future looks like now, "Well, your honor, we find Jesse Campbell not guilty of the first-degree murder charges filed against him by the state for the murder of crime lord Marcel Knight." he announced, and I heard a loud gasp coming from the crowd in that court room.

"Okay, thank-you, and for the other charges placed against the defendant?" the judge snaps impatiently.

"We find Jesse Campbell not guilty of the charge of attempted murder placed on him by the state in the shooting of Charlie Knight," he says as he clears his throat. "We find the defendant guilty of the first-degree kidnapping charges brought on by the state for the kidnapping and torture of Makena Campbell that ultimately led to her untimely death." I took a deep breath, knowing they would find me guilty of the kidnapping charges since I pled guilty and I wondered how long my jail time would last. Turning my attention back to the dude as he finishes up. "And last, we find Jesse Campbell guilty of the second-degree kidnapping of Sarah Emerson Kennedy!"

As the guy made his way back to his seat, I glanced up at the Judge, "So say you one? So say you all?" and all of the jurors nodded in agreement. I noticed the judge's gaze fixated on me. "The defendant will remain standing during sentencing." I immediately start to straighten my posture as I stare back up at the Judge. My wife had already passed away. I had nothing left but my businesses, which I've entrusted to safe hands for the time being. Jake Stone and Suri Stone were going to run them with the help of my CEO, who was still in place. "For the crime of first-degree kidnapping placed on you for kidnapping Makena Kindell, I sentence you to the maximum sentence of 20 years in a minimum-security prison. I am sentencing you to a mandatory minimum of 10 years in a minimum-security prison for the kidnapping of Sarah Emerson in the second degree. You can receive parole after 15 years with good behavior. Good luck, sir!" The judge hits his mallet against the desk to signal the end of the court.

I knew she was here so I quickly turned around and stared deeply into her eyes, she was the only one left of the three we had taken, and I knew she had come to watch the only person left get put in prison for the crimes against her. I was sorry for everything she went through just like I was sorry for everything I ever put Makena through. I would face my punishment like a man, as I mouthed an apology towards her and I saw her nod towards me as the cold steel cuffs were clamped around my wrists and I was escorted out the back of the room. I was on my way to prison to face my crimes, and I knew that I would more than likely be behind bars for at least fifteen years, and fifteen years was a long time...