8- Normal work day

Makena's POV

Present-day...

I let out a sigh as I walked into work. Today has been one of those days where nothing has been going right. I missed the yoga class because I slept in, then I burnt my lunch, and my car just broke down on the side of the road, forcing me to walk the rest of the way to work. I was five minutes late, I hated being late to work! It made you look incompetent to your boss. I thought it was unlikely that my situation would improve now that I was at work. I say hello and apologize to my boss as I run inside. As I walk past Suri to the locker room to hang up my purse, I give her a small hug.

"How busy has it been today?" I inquire in my hurry.

"It hasn't been very busy today to be honest, I don't see it picking up either, unfortunately!" She beams at me as she places a piece of Apple pie in front of one of her customers.

Even though we only saw each other for thirty minutes every day on the days that we worked together, we enjoyed working together. She works days so she can take care of her baby girl, and I work nights since I don't have anyone special in my life. We only see each other when our shifts overlap. We make it work because we love our jobs, and our boss is the best!

I plaster a fake smile on my face and get down to work as I try to shake off my horrible day. Observing a handsome guy sitting alone at one of my tables, I take a deep breath, and keeping that huge fake smile on my face I prepare to sweet talk this guy into spending his money on food and drink!

"Hello, welcome to The River Walk. What can I get for you today?" I sing out in my sweetest voice, stopping short as he glanced up at me and smiled. I couldn't place his face in my memory of where or when I knew him from, but his face seemed so familiar. I had no idea why, but my feet itched to escape, but I shrugged it aside because I had a job to accomplish.

He smiles at me showing off his pearly whites, "Hello, nice to meet you, I'll just have a nice, cold tall glass of Iced Tea, please." I couldn't stop the shiver that ran down my spine as I slowly walked away.

"Coming right up!" I replied heading off to get him his order. I could feel his burning gaze on me as I walked away, after all, I was used to being watched.

"Hey Mak, who is the good-looking dude? Do you know him?" She asks me as she approaches me waiting at the bar to collect the iced tea.

I enjoyed working with her, and I appreciated how we stayed close after all these years, especially after her mother's death, and then my mom's accident a few years back. I wish I lived closer to her to see her more, but my older sister has our mother living with her so she can take care of her. When we moved to a new state, Suri and her husband and daughter became my family. I live with them and rent the spare room while I save money to buy my own house. I enjoyed being Aunt Mak to their adorable daughter Breelynn.

"I don't know him, but he does look familiar to me. Do you recognize him?" I asked, looking back at him. He was sitting there reading a newspaper. I couldn't help but think that was different, usually these days these types of guys use a tablet or laptop to read. I studied his features, he was clearly a handsome man. That alone made my stomach drop, since Suri wanted to hook me up with every single guy who came into this place.

"Actually, he kind of does, but like you, I'm not sure where I've seen him before!" She smiles, and I watch her grab the last order of the day to deliver it. "Are you interested at all?"

I roll my eyes, I knew it was coming. "I don't know, I'll let you know later." I reply to her with a smile. I knew she meant only good things from the constant attempts to hook me up.