16

"So Roman..." The ex-god frowned as Virgil's voice hit his ears. "Got a last name or..."

"Black. Roman Black." Roman took a deep breath as he branched out with his aura. Virgil narrowed his eyes seeing Roman seem to fall asleep almost.

"What are you doing?"

"Shh..." Roman's head cocked to the side slightly as he found some people off to the left a bit. "There a dock."

"What?" Roman smiled as he took Virgil's hand and started to lead them off. 

"There's a dock and it's not that far. We can catch a boat and..." Virgil yanked his arm free stopping Roman in his tracks. "Virgil?"

"How exactly is that going to work Roman? I don't have any money and last I checked..." Virgil gestured to Roman making the man frown. "You don't look like you have anything."

"Let me handle it..."

"I'm not going to be some kind of stowaway." Virgil hugged himself slightly as he pushed his bag further up his shoulder. "I have enough issues dealing with boats when I do have a ticket."

"Virgil, it's ok. I've got this." Virgil sighed as he followed Roman. Spotting the dock, Virgil couldn't help but shudder. The last boat he was on was bad enough. There were too many people and he got thrown overboard on purpose. He's not exactly looking forward to this one. Regardless Roman still went on determined to get them a ride. He told Virgil to stay there as he went to talk to the people. There weren't many. It was a fishing boat. It looked to be more of a family thing than anything. 

Roman walked up to the Woman and smiled as he tapped her shoulder. She spun around only for Roman to blow a spark at her. Her eyes dilated as he blinked and Roman smiled.

"Sorry about that but you see... My friend and I are in a bit of trouble." Roman reached out letting his hand brush against her arm with a small harmless flame to lick at her skin, making her shiver. "Do you know of any way we can get the mainland?"

"Mainland?" Roman nodded as he stepped back seeing the gears working in her head. All he did was put a small thought into her head. He sparked an idea and brought it to the forefront of her mind. That way it took only a second until... "We could take you."

"Really? Are you sure about that?" The woman nodded as Roman glanced back winking at Virgil who just stood there confused. "It's not out of the way is it?"

"Don't worry about it. We have to send a shipment in anyway." Roman beamed brightly catching the woman off gaurd a bit as she felt his aura. "It's no problem really."

"Seriously we can't thank you enough. I mean it." Roman let his voice lull a bit watching her eyes glaze slightly. He knew he was pushing it but he needed to make sure. "You're our hero, Miss." 

"Kevin get a room cleaned..." The woman called over her shoulder as one of the young boys froze and shot her a confused look. "We're gonna be taking these lovely men to the mainland."

"But..."

"Now Kevin!" Roman laughed slightly as he ran back over to Virgil who was completely stunned.

"How... How did you get them to take us?" Roman smirked as Virgil just stared at the people. "It doesn't make any sense."

"I just asked, Virgil. Besides..." Roman's smirk turned mischievous and Virgil frowned. "I told you you didn't know what I was capable of. Now... Let's go." Virgil nodded once again letting Roman lead him off as the tension grew. As they made their way to the room that was made for them Virgil tensed up suddenly making Roman worried. "What's wrong?"

"It... just hit me." Virgil gripped his bookbag straps tightly as he stared at the ground. "We're going to the mainland."

"Yes and..."

"I haven't been there since I was 5." Roman's eyes narrowed with concern seeing Virgil's hands shake. "I was there with m-my dads a-and I..."

"Hey now. You're not alone. I'm here." Virgil scoffed as Roman tried to lighten the mood. 

"You're a stranger, who doesn't know a thing about me. At least if Joan was here they'd know the problem." Roman was taken back by the sudden tone in Virgil's voice. "I can't do this. I can't go back there. I..."

"You made a promise, Virgil." Virgil's eyes went wide as Roman looked away, his voice dropping to a quiet lull. "You made a deal. And a deal with me... You cannot go back on it."

"Roman, I'm not trying to get out of a deal." Virgil's eyes narrowed as he shifted anxiously. "Trust me. I couldn't even if I wanted to. I just... can't go to the mainland. You don't understand. We'll have to find another..." Virgil froze as he looked out to see the boat moving and he choked back a sob. 

"Virgil, I can't exactly ask them to change directions again besides... If we're going to find Thomas we have to go to the mainland." Roman sighed as he pulled Virgil in who tensed in his unfamiliar arms but didn't move away. "It's going to be ok. I may not know what's wrong... but I will protect you. I gave you my word Virgil. As part of the deal, I will do whatever I must to help you finish your mission."

"Roman, I'm scared." The exgod couldn't stop the way those words hit him. Then again... he's always been protective of humans. Virgil held on to him tightly as Roman hugged him. "I'm scared."

"It's ok. It's all going to be ok. I promise Virgil. I'm not going to leave you until the deal has been fulfilled." Virgil's eyes narrowed as he shook in Roman's arms. 

"I'm sorry." 

"For what?" Virgil sighed as he pulled away and wiped the tears from his eyes. 

"For my anxiety. I told Joan I'd handle it but..." Virgil sniffled as Roman just stood there ready to pull him in again if he had to. "I know it's not easy. I'm sorry you're stuck with me now. I should've explained what you were getting into. I should have told you about my..."

"Virgil, it's ok." Roman sighed as he took Virgil's hand and brought him into the room to sit on the bed. "I'm not concerned about it at all... well, I am concerned but I'm not upset. We all have our issues... I will be the first to admit my anger is not it's best."

"What?" Roman nodded as he looked at their hands. "What do you mean?"

"I don't handle pain well and when I get angry I can get... aggressive. It's actually why Thomas is upset with me. I was hurting and he wasn't helping so I lashed out. I didn't mean to. I even went back to apologize but by the time I actually found him again..." Roman laid back and stared at the ceiling. "I'm not violent... ok I can't say that. I would never purposely hurt anyone without good reason. I want to be a hero to the people. I want to be a bloody prince for christ's sake but... there can be times where I don't... react very prince-like. I'm not mean. I swear I'm not. I just..." Virgil could see the guilt in the man's eyes as he rolled over and looked at him. "If you were to ask Thomas about me... chances are he wouldn't have very nice things to say."

"So you're easily provoked and I'm a nervous breakdown waiting to happen." Virgil laughed as he shook his head feeling his anxiety burn him up. "How the fuck are we going to pull this off?"

"Virgil, I gave you my word." Roman took his hand again and smiled softly up at the fraying man. "I won't stop until you've succeeded."

"Get some sleep, Virgil." Roman pulled Virgil down till he was laying beside him. "If it will make you feel better I can keep watch?"

"Please?" Roman nodded as he started to get up only for Virgil to grab his hand this time. "Just don't... leave me for to long I... I have ni..." Virgil clammed up making Roman worried as he nodded. "Thank you, Roman."