36

"So I was thinking after we eat, we should get set up in a hotel." Virgil hardly even listened to Roman's ramblings as the two walked down the busy sidewalk. He was just in awe. There were people flying. People putting on magic shows for kids, or legacies as Roman called them. Legacies were kids born from one or more Demi parents. They didn't have magic themselves but they considered just as special and let in. Unfortunately, if there was a human parent... they were not. "We could rest up, maybe take a nap. And then, if you're up for it, I could show you the marketplace. We should start looking for a weapon as soon as possible." Roman paused for a second before sighing. "Although, your personal weapon is something that only you could know and... there's a chance it's not even here so... we won't really focus much on that. I just you to have something to protect yourself with."

"How did you find yours?" Roman froze up with a frown as Virgil just smiled at him. 

"Oh, uh... well... I don't actually remember." Virgil's smile fell as Roman shrugged. "I'm been down here for centuries, Virgil. I don't even know how old I am, to be honest." Roman tapped his head lightly as he smiled. "Your brain can only retain so many memories. When your immortal it's likely you'll forget many many things. You just can't remember it all."

"What else have you forgotten?" Roman laughed at the silly question but Virgil wasn't even aware he had said that out loud. Virgil was to busy having a slight panic over the possibility of Roman forgetting all about them and their time together. After all, Roman is going to want to be with his forever. After all this is over, Virgil going to go back to his island. They will split ways and... and... Roman will end up forgetting about him.

"Hey, what's wrong, Virgil?" Virgil jumped, eyes snapping up to see Roman smiling sadly as he brushed Virgil's tears away. "Why are you crying?"

"I just uh... I just realized something is all." Roman's eyes darkened as Virgil looked away. He realized at the end of it all, none of this is going to matter. They may be friends now but it won't last. "So you don't remember how you found your sword huh?"

"No, I don't." Roman could see Virgil was really upset but the other refused to talk about it. That only hurt him more because he wanted to help. "Virgil?"

"I have a question. If you can't remember how you found your sword, how do you remember what it's like?" Roman sighed resigning to just answering his question instead of pushing. The two resumed their walk as Virgil hung close to the other. "I mean, you just said you didn't remember so... how do you know?"

"I don't remember how I found it, but I remember what it felt like, I guess. It's hard to explain, Virgil. Like... I know for a fact that I hate hummus and raisins but I can't for like life of me remember a single time where I would have tried them." Roman laughed at himself as he looked around for the best spot to eat at. "There's also the fact that I have this very old handstitched bear in my closet, obviously for a kid, but... I don't remember when or why I got it. I don't remember if it was a gift or if I had bought it for someone. It... It actually scares me sometimes."

"So you have forgotten people." Roman stopped short suddenly making the two have to pause. Roman's eyes were wide in shock as Virgil just tiredly gave him a confused look. "Roman? What..."

"Oh shit, I've forgotten people." Virgil frowned as Roman visibly crashed. "I mean... I've never thought about it before. But it's kind of a given... obviously, if I can forget things like how I got my weapon, it's safe to say that I've met and forgotten people."

"Then I guess you better make things like this count while you can huh?" Roman's eyes snapped up in horror as Virgil just smiled exhaustedly. "There may come a day when you don't even remember me."

"Virgil..."

"Though considering I'm demi... I'll probably be in the same boat." Virgil's just laughed as he shook his head slightly. "Although that does concern me a bit. I'm known to remember everything... my anxiety makes it pretty impossible to forget things... so if I just do that... I don't know. Forget it, I'm just tired."

"Virgil..." Roman hesitantly reached out with teary eyes as Virgil turned away and gazed at everything. "I'm not going to forget you."

"I appreciate the sentiment, Princey, but no one really has much control over what they forget." Roman crashed more as his hand dropped to the side. He could already feel his chest tightening at the thought. After all, what's worse than just losing the man you love? How about never remember him at all? Roman couldn't bear the thought.

"I'm not going to forget you, Virgil." Virgil frowned as Roman pulled him back for and awkward hug as the older leaned into his shoulder from behind him. "A sword is just an object. Passing facing... They aren't something to latch onto. You're my friend, Virgil." The man he loves more than anything. "I will not forget you."

"Roman, I'm tired." The older frowned as he pulled away letting Virgil hug himself with a tired smile. "Can we just forget about all this for now? It's not really that important."

"Yeah." Roman picked up their bags again putting on a smile as to not worry the other and just let out a breath. "Actually, Virge. Why don't we just head to the hotel then? You're looking a bit pale."

"Thank you. I'm... I'm feeling not all that well." Roman nodded as he started to lead towards this big fancy building.

"It's quite alright, Stormcloud. In all honesty..." Roman's eyes darkened as he felt his pain increase. "Neither am I."