2.32

"Roman, I love you." Roman's eyes shot wide finding himself in this pitch-black nothingness. "I love you... I love you and your hurting yourself because of me." His eyes narrowed as he looked around, pushing himself up till he was sitting there with this confused expression. 

"You... You love me?" That was his voice. That... He groaned as this pain sparked through his mind. "No, Virgil... I need to hear it. Do you love me?" That... That sounded eerily familiar. He knew he had asked Virgil that. He was trying to get confirmation but... No. All of this felt really familiar.

"I've loved you since before we left for Deceit's island." Roman sat there just taking it all in. "Roman, I love you. I know you can't... won't feel the same for me it's fine." He could feel his heart breaking over it all. He pushed himself up to his feet and just looked around completely confused as to where he was.

"No, Virgil, wait. I..." Roman's eyes went wide as he felt was seemed like someone touching his lips. His hand went to his mouth as he just stood there stunned. What was going one?

"Don't say anything."

"But Virgil I do..." Tears came to Roman's eyes faster than anything as he melted into the voices around him. "I care about you."

"I know you do. Just as I know you'd try to figure something out. I don't want you to think you have to do something because I just told you I love you."

"Virgil, I do l..."

"Stop, Roman." Roman frowned as he slowly started to walk the black hoping for some sign to what was going on. "Nothing has to change."

"Virgil?" Roman could hear the pain lacing the voice he recognized as his own and he frowned. Was this some sort of a dream or... Was it a memory? "What would you have said if I told you I loved you back?"

"I know you, Roman. You'll do or say anything if you felt it would help me or make things better. But I also know you made a promise to yourself... If you told me you love me... I wouldn't believe you." Roman winced as his hand went to his chest feeling it twinge in pain.

"Virgil, I love you." Roman mouthed subconsciously right along with words as he whimpered quietly. "I love you, Virgil." The god paused, flashes of color sparking his vision, as tears slowly fell from his eyes. "I love you."

"Ro..."

"I love you, Virgil." Roman whipped around, half expecting to see some sort of ghost version of him but still... only black. "Virgil, I really do..." His eyes flashed black as these... images passed his mind. He could almost picture himself sitting on this bed begging Virgil to listen. "Why don't you believe me?" His heart was breaking into pieces. It didn't even matter that he could hear the pure unabated pain in his voice. No... it didn't matter... because he could FEEL it all the same. And it hurt... it hurt so bad. "Why don't you believe me? I told you that I love you but you don't believe me. I don't understand...  Virgil, I wouldn't lie to you. I love you. I love you so much. Please... Please, believe me."

"I fell in love with you. I've loved you for so long. I don't even know when I started to fall..." Roman froze up eyes wide as it all truly hit him. It was a memory. He took in every word he heard and his tears never stopped falling. "You died in my arms, Virgil. I completely shattered. I couldn't take it. I couldn't bear the possibility that I could lose you. Virgil, I love you so much."

"Roman, I just..."

"I caused the man I love to suffer so much in his past. It was my fault all that shit happened to you and then on top of that... I scared you so badly. You were scared of me... scared I would hurt you. Virgil, I don't want you to ever be frightened of me like that again. I... I was scared." Roman gingerly reached up brushing his tears away as his breathing started to go erratic.