55

"I'm sorry but... Patton is the grandmother's character so... TW~Main character death)

"Where's Roman?" Virgil whimpered as Logan held him tight in his arms. The two of them were in Patton's room, both crying as they just stood there and waited. "Father? I need him. I need Roman. I can't..."

"I'm sorry. I had someone go to get him but... They couldn't wake him up." Virgil just crashed as Logan held him tighter. "Virgil..."

"Damn it, Roman." Virgil shook as he gripped his father's shirt tightly. "He'd never EVER miss this. The fact that he's that fucking sick..."

"I could go and try myself." Virgil just shook his head as he clung to his father. "Virgil... as much as I say I don't approve... I'd rather you not in pain. If you need Roman..."

"If dad passed away without you here, I'd never forgive myself." Virgil mumbled as he pulled away. "Roman, he'll... I know what he'd do and say so... no. You stay. I'll be ok. I just..." Virgil glanced over to see Patton's breathing so whispy and dying out. "I just don't want to lose him."

"I don't either... But I did manage to get quite a few extra years more than I would have." Virgil groaned as his tears fell even harder. He paced the floor hugging himself tightly as he cried.

"But if I had gotten to Thomas faster... If I was still out there trying and not..."

"Then you never wouldn't have been here to see him off, Virgil. Roman did the right thing getting you here." Virgil frowned as he stopped and looked over to see his father sitting on the chair staring at his husband. "I'm sorry, I haven't been very welcoming to him."

"He swore to kill me. He didn't know but he still did it." Logan's eyes darkened as Virgil sat at the edge of the bed facing him. "He didn't mean it. When he said what he did... he didn't mean it. He never actually meant to promise such a thing. He never gave his word as a god. And when he found out that I was what he swore to break... he broke down. To this day he still hasn't forgiven himself. He forced himself to suffer because of what he did. He does it all the time... choosing to hurt himself rather than ever risk me. He nearly died just to keep me from dying completely." Logan's eyes shot up as Virgil just nodded. "I'm sick too, Father." Virgil's hand went to his necklace and he sighed. "But Roman did everything he could to keep it from killing me. Even going so far as to make another deal with his brother to get me this. This necklace is what is keeping me alive."

"I didn't know..." Virgil deflated letting his hand drop. "When you said you already died... I didn't think..."

"When I woke up the next morning Roman was so drained it was scary. If he had given me just on ounce more... he would be the one that's dead right, Father. He did that without a single thought to anything but saving my life. Why would a man who promised to kill me... give up so much to save me?"

"I supposed it doesn't make sense." Virgil shook his head as he took his father's hands.

"It does... because he was never going to hurt me. It makes sense... because that man loves me. I know you don't trust him, but please trust me?" Logan frowned as he sighed and hung his head. "I love him... and I know he loves me. He's proven it. Please... Please trust me."

"Virgil..."

"I can even prove it to you. Every time he looks at me his eyes go pink. When he thinks about me... anything involving me his eyes will shine a bright pink." Logan narrowed his eyes in confusion as Virgil whipped his tears away. "His eyes change color based on his moods and thoughts. Every color... every shade... everything has a meaning. Pink means love.  Rosy Red means devotion. Bright reddish-orange means passion. So far... I've only ever seen those colors when he's looked at me. You can always tell what he's thinking and or feeling by the color of his eyes. That's how I know he's lying when he says he's fine. Pale yellow means he's in pain. That yellowish-green means he's sick. Father... please? Trust me on this or... at least pay attention to his eyes. You'll see what I mean."

"I'll... I'll try." Logan smiled softly as he squeezed Virgil's hands. "I don't trust him... but I will try to pay attention. I will try to understand. And I do hope he gets better..." Virgil's face fell as Logan frowned. "I don't like how sick he is."

"He's only sick because he isn't..." Patton gasped drawing in there attention and suddenly everything didn't matter. Logan jumped up in shock rushing to his husband's side as he dropped to his knees.

"Patton, hun?" Virgil stood there off to the side shaking like mad as he tried to hold back his sobs. "Patton... It's ok. It's ok." Patton's eyes were wide with pain and fear as he choked and silently sobbed. He couldn't breathe. "It's ok, Patton. It's ok." Logan gently brushed back his husband's hair repeatedly as he smiled through the tears. "It's ok. It's..." The door creaked open making Logan look up to see a very sick and very tired Roman with this sad look in his eyes. "It's ok, Patton. Don't fight. Everything is going to be ok."

"Can I?" Logan frowned as Roman slowly made his way over giving Virgil a soft touch of reassurance as he passed. "I can take the pain away."

"Then please." Roman nodded as his eyes shined a bright white. He smiled softly hand burning a light flame. Patton's eyes darted over to his as he struggled endlessly. 

"Logan's right, Padre. Everything is going to be ok." Roman carefully dropped his knees as he took Patton's free hand in one before place another hand on the man's chest. "I've got friends who watch over you."

"What?" Logan whispered as Roman nodded.

"I guarantee it." Roman lulled as his fire made Patton's skin start to glow. Patton slowly stopped struggling a small sleepy smile on his face as his eyes glassed over. "You won't be alone." Roman frowned slightly giving Logan this sad look before shaking his head and smiling. "I give you my word as a god. Where you're going... you'll love it there." Logan's eyes went wide as Roman's smiled grew. "There's cherry blossoms and flowers galore. Songs fill the air and there are so many animals. In fact, if your really good, which I know you are, my one friend might even let you play with his puppies. He's got a lot of them. And he's very kind to those deserving... You'll make friends easily, Padre. I just know it." Roman tensed as he felt Virgil sit beside him and lean into him for support. Patton's eyes gently slipped shut and Roman could see his fire get even bright, turning white itself signifying the death... the death of a pure soul. Roman actually broke down. "Hades, you better take good care of him." There was this cool blue light that seemed to fill the room from the window and Roman smiled. He wrapped his arm around Virgil as the younger sobbed into him. "I'm sorry I wasn't here sooner."

"You were here when I needed you most. That's all that matters to me."