33

"Well, that's one way to think." Virgil sighed as he ruffled the kid's hair and smiled, getting back to his feet. He figured he would just play along. It would distract the kid until they could find his mother. "What do you think I'd be the god of?"

"Shadows and fear."

"What why?" The boy giggled as he shrugged and skipped about.

"Because you're wearing black and look all scary. Plus you told me fear is a good thing because it helps to keep me safe... and shadows are scary but also can make shadow puppets which are nice... and you are nice so... Shadows and fear." Virgil's eyes narrowed in thought as he let out a soft breath. "Am I wrong?"

"No... you did make a lot of sense, Kid." Even if he isn't a god at all. "I'll be sure to tell my friend. It might actually make him smile a bit. He, uh... He could use a smile."

"Maybe you should sing?" Virgil chuckled as he nodded.

"Maybe I should."

"ALEX?!" The boy jumped the moment they heard the voice yell out and Virgil smiled.

"You Alex?" The boy nodded as Virgil ruffled his hair. "I think we just found your mom." A woman ran down an aisle, frantically looking around before spotting the two. "Go on, Alex. I think you can handle it... ok, never mind." Virgil laughed as Alex took his hand and started to drag him over.

"Mommy! Mommy! Look, I made a friend. He's a god. I told Leo they were real!" The woman froze up as Alex giggled and hugged her. "He helped me find you. He's a god of shadows and fear. Isn't that cool?"

"I am so sorry." The woman whispered as he shot Virgil an apologetic look. "He's got a very imaginative mind."

"Oh, geez. I thought Roman would like you." The boy giggled more as Virgil just shook his head softly. "It's ok. I don't mind really. I'd rather him think that then be as scared as he was." The mother smiled softly as she hugged her son with relief.

"Hey, Mr. Fear God?" Alex pulled away with a look as Virgil knelt down one last time. "Can my mommy have a flower too?" Virgil smirked as he glanced up to see the woman's confused look. "Please?"

"Sure. Why not?" Virgil held his hand out letting a bud bloom in his hand, revealing a very pretty lavender rose that the boy beamed at. "Why don't you give it to her so you don't ever lose her again, ok?"

"Thank you!" Virgil just nodded as he stood back up only to frown seeing the pure shock in the woman.

"I'm sorry. I should have asked if you wanted one."

"N-No. It's ok. I just wasn't expecting you to... actually be a... I mean... You just magically made a rose." Virgil just shrugged as he scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.

"Sorry." The woman just smiled as he carefully put it in her hair.

"Thank you. For the flower and... most importantly... for getting my son back to me safely." Virgil's smile brightened as he let his hand drop.

"It was my pleasure. He's a good kid. Very brave... even with that fear." Virgil shot the kid a silly look making the boy giggle. "You did good kid, but I should go. My friend is probably looking for me. He's very dramatic."

"Roman?" Virgil nodded as Alex just jumped around. He pointed behind Virgil making the man frown in confusion. "Is that him?" Virgil spun around to see Roman just watching from over near a few clothes racked and laughed.

"Yeah, that my prince alright." Virgil frowned as he quickly shook his head and lightly nudged his shoulder. "I should go before the god of annoying makes an appearance. You remember what I said ok? Don't forget it... and don't let Leo get in your head. You know the truth. That's all that matters."

"I won't! Thank you. Bye-Bye, Mr. Fear God." Virgil laughed as he walked over to Roman who was just smiling.

"Who was that?" Roman watched as the mother knelt down to fix the boy's coat as Virgil just shook his head. 

"A little boy who got lost." Roman's eyes went wide as Virgil just smiled. "I know right. I thought the same thing. Pretty ironic that the man you had gotten lost as a boy ended up helping a child in the same situation."

"Nah..." Roman laughed as he brushed Virgil's hair back. "I think it's perfect." Virgil just sighed happily before spotting Alex and his mother about to leave.

"Hey, Kid!" Roman jumped as Virgil yelled out only to see Alex look back at them. "Roman show him your fire."

"Wait, what?"

"Just do it." Roman frowned with confusion but listened anyway, snapping to let his fire wrap around his hand. The boy beamed and he jumped up and down with elation.

"HE'S LIKE A LITERAL DRAGON WITCH!" Roman's eyes went wide as visions of knights fighting creatures with scales and fire filled his mind. Tears pricked at his eyes as the kid just squealed happily. "Mommy! Mommy! That's the other one. The other god! Isn't he cool." Roman could literally see the scenes of a great battle running through his mind. So lost to the imagination of that boy he didn't even notice Virgil take Roman's hand. A small flower appeared in his hand catching some fire as he winked at the boy, letting the smoke slowly waft up through his fingers. "SHADOW!" 

"That kid is too cute." Virgil just waved them off as he watched them leave. "Very active imagination..."

"Oh, I know." Virgil frowned as he looked over to see Roman in tears as he just stood there frozen. 

"Roman?"

"I can see it, Virge." Roman smiled as the visions of the great battle raged in his mind. The knights in dark armor, the bad guys, all fought against the dragon witch who brought fire down on them in spades. A mage in a black cloak hovered in the air shooting bolts of shadows that covered the knight that it hit in a dark haze filling them with such intense fear. "His thoughts... his imagination... I can see it." Virgil carefully brushed away his tears bringing Roman's attention to him. "It was so... beautiful."

"I'm glad you got to see it then."