29

"Roman, I'm a bit concerned." Virgil sighed as he glanced down at the map again while the other was getting their things together. "Gaurdwell is a Demi district. It's a safe haven for people like me." Roman's eyes narrowed as he hesitated slightly with a frown. "You being a god... would you even be able to go there?"

"It should be alright." Virgil's eyes only darkened as Roman sighed sadly. "I'll be ok, Virgil. Many if not all Demi's know who I am. It's the humans who call me a Demi." Virgil's eyes narrowed as Roman frowned more. "I was very open at one point with the others. My pain and pride clouded my judgment but... I've grown since then. There are some Demi who do not understand and haven't accepted me but most see me as one of there own. I'll be fine there. I've been there before." Roman's eyes dropped to Virgil's pendant and he crashed. "I'm more concerned about you."

"What do you mean?" Roman carefully set his duffle on the bed as he walked over and gently traced Virgil's necklace. Virgil's eyes went wide seeing how Roman's eyes began to glow. "Ro?"

"Gaurdwell is typically exclusive to divine Demi. I worry they will not take to kindly to you... and your necklace."

"Explain?" Roman let out a shaky breath as he bit his lip and nodded.

"There are many Demi out there who do not accept Thomas as a god. Many have been around since before he ever became one... so they know him as Ta Ka and refuse to see him as anyone else. I'm afraid they will not accept you as a divine Demi... mainly because... you are not." Virgil's eyes went wide as Roman shook slightly with nerves. "Well... not entirely anyway. Virgil, your father is a demon, created and raised... he, much like my brother but the opposite, became a god through his actions. So... That means fundamentally he is still a demon in part. That makes you just as much of a demonic demi as you are a divine one."

"Oh." Roman tensed seeing how Virgil deflated. "That... that makes sense."

"Hey, no... don't do that." Virgil's eyes dropped as Roman quickly rushed back over to comfort him. "That doesn't make you a bad guy, Virgil."

"I... I know that. I just..."

"I don't care about that, Virgil." Virgil's eyes slowly met with Roman's only to melt under those pink eyes. "I don't care about any of that. You're still you. Ok?"

"They won't see that. They don't even know me. Roman... If I'm half demonic  like you say... they'll know, won't they?" Roman's face set as he brushed Virgil's tears away. "I don't know what to think. I don't know what to feel. I just... I want all of this to be over." Roman hesitated slightly pulling his hand back with a sad look as he just smiled softly.

"I told you I would help you, Virgil. You will succeed. I gave you my word." Virgil chuckled as Roman brushed his hair back. "I gave you my word... and a god never breaks there word."

"I know. I'm just scared is all." Roman's fingers brushed against the necklace again as he sighed. "Roman..."

"We'll need to figure out a story for that." Roman pulled away going back to packing as Virgil just frowned. "They'll beg that as some sort of a token and depending on who's at the gate, I might not be able to just walk past."

"What even is this?" Roman flinched as he shot a look back only to fill with horror at Virgil who was currently holding it in his hands.

"NO!" Roman yelled out fire branching off of him as he ran back over pulling Virgil's hands away as he quickly put the necklace back around Virgil's neck. Virgil froze under the horrified look in Roman's eyes as the older started to tear up. "Don't ever take that off. Please, Virgil... I can't... I can't go through that again. Don't take it off."

"Roman..."

"Please, don't take it off." Virgil's eyes only darkened as Roman started to look him over. "You're ok right. It wasn't off for very long. So you're ok?"

"Ro..."

"Just answer the damn question." Roman flared as his voice came out a tad louder than it should have been. Virgil could see how upset the other had gotten. Roman deflated resting his head against Virgil's shoulder as he tried to calm himself down. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell. I just... Don't take the necklace off. You can't."

"Roman, I'm fine..."

"You died, Virgil." Virgil's face fell completely as Roman's head shot up with tears streaming down his face. "You died and I couldn't save you. I tried. I tried so fucking hard. I couldn't do anything. That necklace... that's the ONLY thing keeping the heart of Thomas's... functioning." 

"Roman?" Virgil reached a hesitant hand out only to stop as Roman turned away. "I'm sorry."

"I just... if you take that off and you get sick again... I can't bring you back. I don't know how. My brother... Remus... He and Deceit saved you. I just... I nearly drained myself just to keep your body alive." Virgil's heart broke as Roman smiled sadly. "I have no idea what Remus is going to want from me for that but... I honestly don't care. Just as long as your ok, Virgil. So... So please don't take it off?"

"The wind was telling the truth then?" Roman frowned in confusion as Virgil just crashed. "You made another deal with a demon for the necklace... to... to save me?" Roman nodded only serving to make the younger crash more. "What the hell? What were you thinking? The last deal you made..."

"I WASN'T THINKING!"