Midnight Rain-1

Chapter 1
Layla POV
Saturday

I am so tired.

It is January 17th. I live in Greenwood, North Carolina. I'm in my senior year of high school, and I work in a little 24 hour cafe.

I am heading home now from the cafe, because I got stuck with the late shift and had to stay till 12:00.

Great, right?

Nope.

I hate driving in the dark. I always feel like I am going to hit something that I won't be able to see till it is to late. So when I saw something lying in the middle of the road, I pulled over.

I pull over and jump out of my red ford truck (that I love by the way) and went to see what it was.

It was a bright orange and red, and the closer I got to it, the clearer I could see it.

It was a fox.

Who would run over a fox and leave it half alive?

It had definitely broken a leg and was bleeding from somewhere, but I couldn't tell where, there was so much blood.

"You poor thing. I am so sorry this happened to you. I am going to help if I can."

I could feel myself tear up and I had no idea why.

I mean, I love animals, but I had never reacted like that before.

The poor fox lifted its head up to me and I could see the pain it was going though. I reached out my hand to touch it's head, to see if it would let me.

I know, I know. I couldn't have known what the fox had gotten into. It could have a disease or something.

But I didn't care in that moment. I felt as though this fox deserved to live or at least have a chance to.

To my surprise the fox did let me touch it. I rubbed it's head and moved my hand to it's stomach to see if that was where the bleeding was coming from.

But it wasn't. So I decided to pick up the fox, put it in the truck, and take it to the vet. Maybe they'd know what to do.

I moved to pick the fox up but instead it stood on its own.

"What the!" I yelled out.

I mean, one second ago I saw this fox on the ground bleeding out with a broken leg. How is it standing?!

It sat down and started cleaning itself.

It didn't run.

After a second the fox looked back up to me and SPOKE. I am not crazy. I swear.

It looked up to me and a feminine voice rang out saying "Are you done freaking out, cause you are about to freak out even more and I want to tell you this before we actually get run over."

I was in shock. I just nodded with my mouth wide open.

"H-How are you able to.... talk." I said pausing in the middle of the sentence, not wanting to offend this magical fox. Who knows what she can do?

"I can speak because I am not a normal fox," she said.  I jumped in, cutting her off before continued to talk, "No kidding."

She just chuckled. A FOX CHUCKLED AT SOMETHING I SAID.

I mean this doesn't happen.

"Well then. As you can see I am not a normal fox. I am what people have called a fox spirit." She paused at my confused face.

"Are you a dead spirit?"

She just chuckled again and shook her head.

"No. No, I am a fox spirit, not a dead spirit. I grant the power of shape shifting along with other things. I grant this powers to only one person. Only one person can hold the fox spirit cause there is only one. Me." She pauses seeing if I was keeping up. Which I was, barely.

"So, why were you laying on the ground, acting as though you were hurt?" I ask.

"I was testing everyone who passes. If you stop and try to help the fox that could possibly live then you are worthy of the powers. I have been searching for years. And everyone either passes by without a second glance, or hurts the fox more. Putting it out of it misery, I guess," she says, upset.

I nodded my head, following along.

"You have been the first in a long time to stop and plan to help me instead. I grant you the power of the fox." She says putting her nose to mine and started glowing.

Oh great. The fox is glowing and sparkling. But when I open my eyes again the fox is gone.

I stand up and look around for her when I hear a voice. It sounds like it is everywhere around me. "Hey I'm in your head." I hear the familiar voice say.

THE FOX IS IN MY HEAD.

HOW DID SHE GET IN THERE?

So much is happening.

"How come I can hear you? Why can't I see you? How did you get in my head? What are you doing in there?" I rambled off a few questions all at once out loud.

I hear chuckling in my head when she spoke out again. "You can hear me because I'm in your head. You can't see me because I'm in you head. I got in here by bonding with you. And I am here to guide you when you are in fox form."

I don't understand half of what she said.

Bonded with me?

Fox form?

I'm going crazy!!

"Bonding with you means we are together now. And your Fox form is you turning into a fox."

HOW DID SHE KNOW WHAT I WAS THINKING.

"Hey not so loud. I can hear your thoughts. I'm in you mind now, and can hear pretty much anything you think."

Yeah, I guess that makes sense.

"Yep. I will explain all about the fox powers and shifting tomorrow, but I can tell you're very tired and it's pretty late already."

I nodded my head turning to look back at my truck.

Once I hopped back in my truck, I look at the time, to see that it is now 1:00.

Great.

It's a good thing it's the weekend, and I don't have school tomorrow. But I do the day after tomorrow.

"You still go to school?" she asks.

Yep. I'm 17 but will be turning 18 soon. My name is Layla by the way.

"That's cool. My name is Vixen."

Vixen means female fox doesn't it?

"Yes it does that is why it is my name." Vixen says.

I like it. But can I shorten it to Vix please?

"Yes. That would be fine." Vix agrees.

I had already started driving by then and got home about 10 minutes later.

I stumbled my way though the front door, and up the stairs to my bedroom.

Once I fell onto my comfy bed, I knew I wasn't going to get up till morning. I passed out right then and there, with clothes on and everything.

Author's Notes.

Hi, I hope you like this book and you can correct me if I ever misspelled something or wrong grammar. I will go back and fix it I promise.

But I got this book idea from
@Mammashifter

The Fox and The Wolf

The Fox and The Alpha

You should go read it. I really liked the book. This one wont be just like hers but they both she gave me the idea of fox spirit.