9| I'll Protect You

~Remy~

"Oh um, sit down right here," 

I pull the stranger off to the side of the road and have him sit on bench like rock, slowly reaching over his mouth and pulling off the gag keeping him silent. His light hazel brown eyes squeeze shut as he coughs out to the side. His messy brown hair matted with sweat from the journey as he tried to breathe. 

"I, um, here. Drink some water," I offer up my bottle to him from my backpack and he takes it in his cuffed hands. 

"I'm sorry about the handcuffs. I think they're kind of excessive but I can't take them off until we get to the castle," I apologize and he gives me a small smile. 

"What's your name?" He asked in this deep raspy voice that takes me by surprise considering how innocent he looks. 

"Remy, Beta Remy. And you?" I ask in return, interested to know if his name is just as nice as he is. 

"Remy? Like that chef rat from Ratatouille? That's cute." He smirks, taking me by surprise as I can't speak.

"I'm Rowan, Rowan Moon. The underrated rogue," He winks and hands back my empty water bottle.

"Well, we're almost there so we can uh, get you settled," I blabber on before I start walking down the path without him. 

"Sorry, was I coming off as too strong? It's been a while I guess, but I've seen you before. Never thought we'd actually talk though," Rowan speeds up until he's walking beside me and I put my hands in my pockets. 

Why was he even flirting with me anyway? I'm not that attractive, at least that's what Vanessa always says.

"What? When did you see me?" I asked and his hazel eyes look up towards the sky. 

"When I was hiding, I noticed you. I must say that light brown fur of yours if quite handsome. I wanted to talk to you but I'm kind of afraid of your alpha king over here," He mentions and I feel my face heating up or it could be the sun just beaming down on us. 

"Alpha Mason? He wouldn't hurt anyone unless they hurt him or a member of our pack. I'm sure a man like you wouldn't do anything like that," I mention and he shakes his head. 

"No, I'm a healer and I'd prefer it if you just said I'm a person. I'm nonbinary," Rowan explains and I nod. 

"Okay Rowan, I apologize for assuming. So you're a healer? Do you think you want to go to the Lotus pack?" I ask as we near the castle courtyard and the guards nod us through the gate. 

"No, I think I'd prefer it if I stay around you. I'm afraid I'm terribly shy and you're the first person I've been comfortable with in a while." They admit as we walk in with the familiar laughter of my two favorite children. 

"Remy!" The bouncing brown eyed boy with light brown curls rushes up to me first with his bow I got him for Christmas in hand. 

"You won't believe what I shot today! I was out with Juni and Mama and caught a hawk out of the corner of my eye from super high!" Waylon shouts as I lift up the little five year old up and swing him around in my arms. 

"You did what? Oh my goddess that's awesome!" I hype him up and he becomes a giggling mess in my arms. 

"Put down the boy and no one gets hurt," A threatening voice looms and I pause. Giving me goosebumps even though I know exactly who she is. I slowly turn around, moving Waylon to my hip as I put my hands up and face the evil little girl with a very sharp dagger pointed at my knee cap.