29| Solem Vow

~Mason~

"NOAH!"

My beta mate reads my mind without having to say anything as my duel swords struck the legs of the traitors when I hunch over. I felt Noah's feet just grace my back as he jumped off, his massive white tiger form landing on the members of the crimson clan. Spines were ripped out with a single swipe of his large paw which grew stained with the blood of our new enemies.

I remained in my human form for the agility it gave me as I continued to fight with our guards who were taken by shock when the bombing occurred. Just when the smoke cleared, the crimson clan invaded but their alpha remained unseen. Which means he didn't come here to take over, he sent them here to send a message.

But I'm sure he'll quickly realize he sent them here to die.

I sense my Tristan is behind me without seeing him and I toss up one of my swords, he catches it by the handle and slices through the first throat he sees. Wielding the weapon of our ancestors with two hands as he seems possessed with the same desire to protect our pack family from harm. The three of us together moving as one synchronized death machine was no match for these fools who thought they could challenge the king alpha as measly wolves.

I was given two badass mates for a reason.

With what looks to be the last of the traitorous wolves in the main hall finished off, the sounds of gunshots firing echoes through the castle and Noah, Tris, and I gaze at each other. His bright blue eyes sensing the loss of one of our pack members as we both run together towards the sound.

"It sounded like it came from the south wing!" Tristan mentions, pointing to my other Beta's wing. The three of us stop right before the open door, sensing the barrier of immense depression without even setting foot inside.

"Shit," Noah whispered under his breath before I took the first step into the living room. The creaking of the wooden floorboard masked the quiet weeping for just a second as I heard Remy's cries.

I had imagined it could be one of many things but what I saw and what happened next was not one of them.

Remy laid on the ground, holding a very pail Rowan in his arms while on his knees in a pool of blood which I assumed was Rowan's. His heartbreaking cries and the scent of rustic blood in the room almost distracted me from the sweet smell of earthly chocolate that mixed in with the blood.

Don't you dare say it

I growled at Yakota who whimpered and howled in the back of my mind from the sheer pain of the situation. I dropped my weapon, tiptoeing to Remy as he hugged Rowan so close to his chest that I was sure now that they've passed.

"Remy," I whispered his name as I got down on my knees in front of him. The brokenhearted tears streaming down his cheeks shattered my very soul as he rocked back and forth.

"We can bring them back, Bahra must have a potion or salve of some kind. I-I-I," Remy stuttered in his pain and sniffled as he slowly tilted his head up and the two of us made eye contact.

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no," He cried as he realized what was happening and I rested my hand on the back of his neck, pressing my forehead to his as he groaned.

"I'm so, so, so sorry Rem," I choked out as my own tears slipped down my cheeks, combining with his.

"Remy, I-" Noah started to say something when a cry broke through the closet door. Tristan rushed to the sound, scrounging through the messy closet, ripping it apart until I heard the creak of something opening.

"I found clementine!" Tristan announced and Noah joined him in the closet, but I remained with Remy, holding onto him for dear life, afraid the moment I let go he might pass away from a broken heart.

He can't die, not yet.

"I can't," Rem groaned and I slowly pulled my head back from his, gazing into his dark hazel eyes.

"I know," I slowly eased Rowan out of his arms, carefully resting them on the floor for now. Noah and Tristan come out of the closet clutching a bundle of blood-drenched blankets with fear in their eyes. The baby continues to cry as Tristan rocks her back and forth with Noah nervously looking back and forth from the baby to Remy.

"She seems to be alright but we have to take her to Bahra to be sure," Tristan stutters over his own words as he clutched the baby close which has me thinking something must be wrong and he's trying not to show it.

"Go, I'll take care of him," I offer but neither one of them wanted to leave Remy behind. The elephant in the room weighed down on all of our chests was so heavy I felt like I was going to suffocate which can't be good for Remy either. Especially not during a time like this.

"We'll be right behind you," I nod to them and they look at each other, trusting me to protect him with my life until I can get him to the med bay. Tristan quickly takes the lead with Clementine in his arms and Noah looks torn between the two. I nod in Tristan's direction to chose for him and he finally leaves.

Remy looks down at his arms, caked with Rowan's blood he switches from one to the other and starts to hyperventilate.

"Rem, hey, hey, hey look at me," I try to distract him but it was too late, his short breaths causing him to pass out and fall forward into my arms. With one last look at the fallen Rowan, I pull Remy into my arms to lift him and jolt him up so his head falls on my shoulder.

"Don't worry, we'll take care of him Rowan, I swear this to you," I promise and walk away with our new broken mate resting in my arms.

"I've got you Remy, just hold on a little bit longer,"