40| Cold

~Remy~ 

"Good Morning," 

"Mmm,"

It's been two weeks since Mason's said an actual word to me.

So I'll take a grunt or two as an improvement.

"Connor is getting out of the hospital today so are we going to pick him up or are we going to let a mother in the pack adopt him?" I ask as my ever so intimidating mate stares out the window of his office from his chair, refusing to even look at me as he took a small sip of coffee and watched the birds fly away.

To be honest, this is probably near the top on my list of the most painful experiences I've ever gone through. I somehow managed to join this family and destroy it all with a matter of days. 

Mason wanted absolutely nothing to do with me. Refusing to look at me, talk to me, or let me anywhere near him ever since he found out about the pregnancy and went into a state of shock. Noah was cold and heartless most of the time making me feel like breathing in his direction was a sin against god. Tristan was the only one who stood between as neutral, constantly reminding me that it was just temporary and Mason just needed time to process.

I shift in my seat, uncomfortable by the silence and snap my fingers, finally grabbing Mason's attention. 

"Mmm, sorry what were you asking?" He finally speaks and I lean back to try to hide the fact he scares me right now. 

"So you have a voice after all. I was starting to think you suddenly decided to become mute," I mention and his light coffee-colored eyes soften. 

"Remy," Mason sighs my name like I was the only one who put us in this mess. How was I supposed to know this could happen? 

"I'm not mad or anything. I just don't feel good, I'm tired, and I wanted some space to think things over. That's it really" Mason says and my anger instantly turns to worry.

"That doesn't mean you get to shut me out. It hurts so much Mase," I tell him honestly and he rubs his temple like he does when he's stressed out. 

I turn away from him, unable to watch my mate slowly unravel. I did this. I made him this way and probably ruined anything we could have had. I'd probably be better off mateless considering I always fuck something up anyway. 

"That's not true," Mason catches me off guard as he slips one knee in between my legs on the chair and wraps his arms around my shoulders.

"I love you, so stop thinking you're some big fuck up when you're not and neither is this," He forces me to look into his big brown puppy eyes and I'm at a loss of words. 

"Besides I couldn't hate you even if I tried," Mason adds as he kisses my forehead before returning to his desk, leaning against the front while continuing to sip his coffee like nothing happened. 

"No, but Noah sure can," I sigh and Mason rolls his eyes. 

"Hatred is the last word I'd use to describe how Noah feels about you," Mason laughs as he shakes his head while I give him a confused look. 

"What are you talking about? The man can barely stand being in the same room as me! I don't know what to do anymore! I've tried talking to him but he just shrugs me off like I'm crazy and honestly I'm starting to! I just want him to...I just want him!" I groan as I run my hands over my face in pure frustration and Mason watches me with a smirk like he knows something I don't. 

"Mmm, I know what's going on but I can't speak for Noah. You'll just have to sort it out by yourself. Which reminds me! The elder of the Crimson clan called and said things are setting up great over there but I would like for you two to check on them tomorrow," Mason suggests and I instantly reject the idea. 

"What? I can't leave you. Not like this at least," I stutter and instantly wish I could take it back as my very strong king alpha prime boyfriend stares at me like I'm the stupidest man alive. 

"Fine," I agree, not like I had much of a choice. Noah finally walks into the office door and closes it behind him without seeing me.

"Well look who finally decided to wake up! Oh, you," Noah pauses when he catches sight of me and I can visibly watch the excitement leave his body. Mason lets out a low growl that reverberates across the room and Noah stops. 

"I don't like the game you're playing," He mutters under his breath and Noah gives him a pleading look. I can tell they're communicating through their bonded link, leaving me out as I sit there waiting for their fight to be over. Thankfully this one only takes a minute and Noah looks back at me when they're done. 

"Sorry," He mumbles half-heartedly before turning around and sitting in Mason's chair, spinning in circles while scratching his chin in thought. 

"So are you ready for your appointment today? Tris will meet us with Bahra in our wing after he checks on the widows and their family units. He's looking for a family for Connor to go home to in case you don't give the okay," Noah mentions and Mason puts down his mug, crossing his arms as he walked over to the floor to ceiling window placed so he could see the entire courtyard.

I watch Mason's back for a second before turning to the man currently burning holes into the side of my head expecting to find a dark glare. 

But instead, he was neutral. 

Noah's dark blond hair ruffled to the side in the way he usually does after he wakes up and his deep blue eyes seem to freeze me in place. He intimidates me with just the way he breathes and yet I'm hooked on just his glance. 

Everything about him, from his personality to the way he looks at me tells me to run because he's probably going to break my heart and at the same time it tells me, fuck it. Please ruin my life now Noah Kailea. 

"Do you think they'll be okay?" Mason asks, snapping Noah and I out of our moment to give him our full attention. Our shared vulnerable mate is now leaning against the wall with his arms protectively hugging himself at the waist. Noah stands up and gives me the nod to go to him before leaving us alone.

I approach my sensitive Mason from behind and wrap my arms around his waist for the first time since we found out. The feeling gives me a sense of inner peace as I bury my head in his shoulder close to his neck where his scent was strongest. The vanilla scent was still sweeter than before he was pregnant. 

"You still smell the same so I'm sure our baby is just fine," I say into his skin and his breath hitches slightly.

"You think so?" He clears his throat and I lay a single kiss on my mark, making him shiver in my arms. 

"There's only one way to find out," I remind him and he bites the tip of his thumb. 

"I don't know how Tris and Noah managed to do this. It's so stressful, I mean what if I fall or get into a fight and get hit the wrong way? What if I do something that makes it grow wrong?" He sputters and I eye him, knowing our little family was probably waiting for us and dying with anticipation. 

"But-" 

"No buts, lets go,"