19| Beautiful

^fun fact, I had this song stuck in my head as I wrote this

~Rowan~

"So are you a guy or a chick?"

Payne asks as I treat the large gash on his arm, mixing the healing solution in the wooden bowl as I inwardly rolled my eyes at the question.

I shrug, pulling up the sleeves of my white cable knit sweater to cover my bare shoulders. Feeling uncomfortable from being in his lusting gaze.

"You're unmarked though are you unmated too?" He asks, winking as he does and I click my tongue, shaking my head before applying the solution to his arm.

"A submissive quiet one I see, that's even hotter," He breathes as I'm forced to get close to him and I quickly pull back before he can lay a hand on me as he made a move to.

"Where are you going pretty boy? I'm not gonna hurt you," He chuckles but I shake my head, unable to speak to such a large stranger as I quickly pack up my stuff. I could feel Payne getting closer as the hair on the back of my neck stood up and I turned around to find him rubbing his arm.

"Hey, I work the late shift in the guard's tower if you're ever looking for a fun time. I'm sure my friend and I could fill you up pretty good," He nods to me and makes me feel disgusting as he checks me out, looking over my entire body before leaving the room.

Once he's gone, I have to sit down on one of the chairs, taking in deep breaths as I attempt to calm my pounding heart.

It's okay Rowan, he didn't touch you, he just looked at you.

I repeated to myself as I pulled my legs to my flat chest, rubbing the black denim on my knees until the hyperventilating stopped.

"Rowan, what are you still doing here? Your shift ended twenty minutes ago. Are you okay?" Bahra asked when she saw me and I smiled, quickly nodding as I lept off the chair to finish packing up.

She looked back towards where Payne had left and turned back towards me as if she could already put the pieces together.

"Did he touch you, Rowan? If so we'll have to get Remy to-" I gasped when she said his name and quickly shook my head. With everything my mate's been through, there's no way in hell I would upset him with such trivial matters.

Bahra sighed and helped me place my things on the medical cart placing a gentle hand on my shoulder.

"You should at least be marked by now. If they know you belong to the Beta they'll never bother you again. It's been three weeks Rowan, is everything okay between you two?" She asks and I nod again before waving goodbye and leaving.

"Remember what I said! I'll see you Monday," Bahra calls out to me and I walk back to the North wing where my mate was probably fast asleep. I practically jogged there and didn't feel safe until I had the door closed behind me. I let out a long sigh of relief, kicking off my sneakers and tiptoeing into the bedroom. But I was surprised and disappointed when I discovered he wasn't there.

I rubbed my sore shoulders and tried to relax but I still had goosebumps from my experience with Payne.

"So you're trying to seduce the Beta huh? I guess I'm not good enough," Payne's voice echoes in the shadows and I turn to find him closing the door behind him. Crap, I didn't lock it because I thought Remy would be coming home soon anyway.

I don't even have a link with Remy so I can't even call out to him for help right now.

Tears build in my eyes as I slowly back away from him but he's got me backed into the corner of the living room. His lustful gaze looked me over again and I squeezed my eyes shut, freezing in place.