17| Happy Birthday

~Tristan~

"Hey, how are the-" 

I stopped talking as soon as I saw Mason's pale tear-stained face as he walked into our living room. 

"What happened? Where's Noah?" I asked him first as he sat on the couch shaking his head. Throwing a metallic object that bounced against the wall with a familiar clink as I watched Noah's engagement ring roll across the hardwood floor. 

"I fucked up," He admits and I get down on my knees in front of him, since he was hiding his head in his hands as he doubled over with so much guilt that it was suffocating. 

"Mason, I'm sure it wasn't that bad but I need you to talk to me. What did you tell Noah?" I asked and he groans. Shaking his head with regret and I take hold of his hands so I can see those big sad puppy eyes. 

"I didn't mean what I said, I was just so angry," 

"Hon, I need you to tell me what you said," 

"I told him he only cares about himself and the only reason why we were mated was so he could be a pain in my ass," Mason says it all jumbled up at once and starts hyperventilating. 

"I think I'm going to be sick," He moans, tilting his head back and give his knees a gentle rub before standing up. 

"What do you think?" He asked, taking notice of my silence and I bit my lip in thought.

"That's really bad Mase," I don't like to him and he groans louder. 

"I know! I tried to tell him I didn't mean it after we found the twins but then he told me everything. And I mean everything and now I just feel like a total jackass. I didn't even know he was going through so much recently. What kind of a mate am I if I thought he was fine, but he was...did you know?" He asked and I nodded which only made him feel worse. 

I've never known anyone who could hide their true emotions as well as Noah can. 

"Yeah, Noah called me that night after he found out and when he came home I tried to convince him that he needs therapy but he refused. That's why he had to come back early. He's really messed up over it," I explained and Mason blinked in disbelief. 

Of course, Noah called me when he found out about the miscarriage. If he had called Mason, the man would have made it a huge deal and would have been a complete wreck. I just wish I could have been there to hold his hand when he found out. 

"Why wouldn't he tell me? And he was going on about how he hates it when people keep secrets but here he wa-"

"Honey, the reason why Noah didn't tell you is because he didn't want to ruin your engagement. He told me that he was going to talk to you about it next week after he went to the doctor," I explain and he closes his eyes. 

"Fuck, he's right. I did it again. I made an assumption without thinking about his side, wait. Why would he need to go to the doctor?" Mason asks and I was a little confused. 

Maybe he's talking about the thing that happened with his Papa instead. Now that I think about it, Noah would never the miscarriage in a fight against Mason. That would have destroyed him.

"For therapy Mase, anyway why don't you go wash up and relax while I go find Noah? I'll bring him back here and we can talk about it tonight okay?" I compromise, quickly recovering after almost spilling Noah's secret and thankfully he doesn't suspect a thing.

"Wait, what about your heat? You can't go out like this," Mason stops and I pick up the bottle of pills off the kitchen counter, putting it in the pocket of the orange sweatshirt that was a size too big and I tossed on some black jean shorts.