18| And Things Were Never The Same

~Mason~

"Alright Juni-berry, just tie the line with the small V-band clamp right there. You see this holds all the coolant to keep your engine from overheating," 

I point out as I hold the clamp in place while Juniper takes a flat head screwdriver to tighten it. Her little hands get dirty as she struggles to keep the screwdriver in place. But even though she struggles I let her do it herself just for that satisfying grin on her face. 

"But Daddy, what happens if the engine overheats?" She asks as she pulls her little hands out and we lay on the floor beneath her mini jacked-up racing car together. We started building it together when she was three and since Waylon never took interest in it, I used this time to bond with my baby girl. Besides, I needed to get my mind off her papa anyway. 

"Either your engine will cut or," I turn my hand and strike her when she's not looking, "It goes kaboom!" I warn as I tickle her side and she breaks down into a squirming ball of giggles. 

"Nooo! Daddy! Stop!" She pleads and after I stop she tries to get me back but I roll away from her. Rolling out from under the small car, his scent hit me before I could even look to see where he was at. 

"Papa? Are you gonna show me how to air the tires?" Juni asked and I looked over to find Noah leaning against the doorway. 

"Not today Juni, I just needed to talk to your daddy," He mentions and Juniper pouts.

"Fine, I'll just zip tie this netting under the oil without you," She huffs and slides back under her car on the crawler. I quickly wipe my hands on a rag, preparing myself for what could happen next. 

"Noah, I'm-"

"I know. I just wanted to say I'm sorry for not telling you all the shit I've been dealing with. Sometimes you're just so dramatic and headstrong that it makes it hard to talk to you about this stuff," He mentions and I nod, looking down at his light gray converse with a small sigh. 

"I know, you feel more comfortable telling Tris everything but I'm here too. Don't forget about me," I say before meeting his steel blue eyed gaze. 

"Yeah, but I just wanted to say I forgive you for what you said and apologize," Noah says with a calm demeanor I've never seen in him before. Something was different about him and I couldn't tell if it was good or bad. 

"I'll leave you two be. Um, I'll be up in the castle taking care of some pack things if you need me," He mentions and turns to go. 

Now I know something must be wrong with him because my Noah would never leave without kissing me or telling me he loves me. 

"Noah," I call out to him and he only turns head. But I saw the immense sadness in just the small peek so I know it can't be good. Somethings wrong with him, I know it.

"Are you okay?" I ask and he pauses, scratching his back before putting on the fakest smile I've ever seen.

"I'm fine! Don't worry about me," He shrugs before walking out of the garage and I can't control the sinking feeling in my heart with every step he takes away from me. 

"Goddess, what have I done?" 

***

"Did you talk to him?" 

Tristan asked as Juniper and I came into the wing, greeting us from the window where he was quietly perched. Reading a book with little Waylon nestled in his arms. 

"Yeah and we didn't argue but something seemed off," I confessed and Juni ran towards our bathroom to go shower the dirt away. 

"Off? What do you mean?" He asked and I let out a long sigh, wondered where if not here he could possibly be. 

"Well he just doesn't seem like himself," I add, sitting down behind him as he rest the back of his head on my shoulder. I nestled my nose against the top of his head, taking in that sweet sandalwood scent, but something was off. It was more potent than ever before and I suddenly had half the mind to shred apart anyone who walks through that front door and isn't our missing mate. 

"Woah," I whispered under my breath and he turned his head with a small smile. 

"So Noah was right," Tris mumbles, his lower lip trembling as he reached his hand down and felt his flat stomach.

"Right about what?" I asked, confused as to what he was talking about with a few straggled tears making their way down his perfect pink cheeks. 

"I'm pregnant Mase," He smiles and I wrap my arms around him in shock, trying my best not to wake little Waylon who was laying down on his lap. 

"That's amazing Tris, I'm so happy for you right now," I tell him and he chuckles a bit. 

"I know it's early but Noah could tell instantly and I thought he was lying until I saw your reaction to my scent change," He explains as he wipes away the stray tears from his sweet forest green eyes and shakes his head. 

"But I'm not important, you were talking about Noah?" He redirects the conversation and I kiss the top of his head. 

"What do you mean you're not important? You've been waiting so long for this," Tris never likes to talk about himself but he deserves the spotlight for once. 

"But I won't be able to enjoy it until this baby's daddies get along again," Tris reminds me and I kiss his soft cheek. 

"I know, we're not 100% but we're working on it," 

**********************

Hmm I wonder why we haven't seen a Noah pov chapter yet....what could he possibly be thinking?