14| The Voice, She Calls

~3rd Person~

"Why isn't Mama here to tuck us in?" 

Juniper asked their nanny, an older pack elder named Binta, as she pulled the covers up to her little chin.

"Because your parents need a little alone time tonight, that's all," Binta replies to the curious little one and her rambunctious brother jumps into bed. 

"Can we see them before we sleep though?" Waylon asks but Binta shakes her head. 

"Not tonight child. Sleep tight and have sweet dreams, my angels," Binta says as she leaves the twins for the night, turning off the light and nodding to the guards as she took her place in a rocking chair outside their door. 

"Goodnight Juni berry," Waylon whispers in the darkened moonlit room, cradling his stuffed rabbit that his arms. The one his grandfather got for him when he went to California with his Papa had become the toy he never went anywhere without.

"Goodnight Wae Wae," Juniper sighed as she closed her eyes. 

But off in the distance, the lightest voice sang the softest aria and her light green eyes shot open. Juniper sat up in bed, kneeling before the window to see where it could be coming from but the voice stopped. 

Frightened, the little girl hopped out of bed. Walking over to pat her brother's shoulder to wake him from his light sleep. 

"Juni what's the matter with you? Can't you see I'm tryin to sleep here?" Waylon tries to swat his sister away, but she persists.

"Can't you hear them?" Juniper asks and it starts again, the gentle singing sounded like a woman in that phantom of the opera movie she watched with her mama the other day. 

"Hear wha-" Waylon narrows his hazel gray eyed gaze. He too could hear the aria unfolding and sat up in bed. 

"What do you think it could be?" Juniper asked and her brother shook his head before falling back into the pillows.

"Maybe it's Binta singing or something," He grunts as he tries to close his eyes again.

"Or maybe it's an adventure," Juniper whispered in his ear, eager to find the source of the calling. 

"Or maybe it's a lot of trouble and daddy is gonna kick our butts," Waylon reminds his naive sister as she goes out to their locked balcony door. Taking the bobby pins out of her hair. 

"Juni, what are you doing? It's bedtime," Waylon groans, sitting up with his stuffed rabbit and rubbing his sore eyes.

Juniper turns the pin until she hears the click and giggles with glee. Confused, Waylon stares as Juniper quietly opens the door. Hoping not to alert Binta or the guards outside the future alpha and beta's room. The most powerful children on the island of Kailea. 

"It's a little trick I learned from uncle Remy, now come on!" She whispers, waving her brother over. 

"Can I bring Mika?" Waylon asks as he holds his rabbit close and Juniper walks back inside their room. 

"Sure but he would be safer out of your hands. I don't know where we're going," Juniper grabs the green drawstring backpack from under her bed and rejoins her brother outside. Placing the little stuffed rabbit named Mika inside with just his head and floppy ears poking out.

"Okay, lets go!" Juniper whispers shouts at her brother. She looks over the balcony railing, using her monkey skills to get her over the railing. Looking at the tree, she jumps over without fear. Their room only placed on the second floor, this wasn't the first time she had done this.