13| Selfish

~Noah~

"Mind if I join?" 

I ask Mason as I stand in the doorway of our study where Mason was lounging on the couch in just his boxer briefs looking like a fine piece of meat if I do say so myself. I would say other things if it weren't for the fact I could feel his seething anger from here.

He stayed quiet, staring into the wood crackling in the fireplace shrouding him in a warm glow as he took a sip of water. He was still ignoring me so I guess I need to choose different words. 

"I want to call off our engagement," He chokes on his water mid-sip and wheezes as I enter the room. Well at lease now I know he's not deaf.

"You don't mean that," 

"I do," 

I didn't, but he doesn't need to know that. 

Mason coughs as he wipes the water off his chin and I sit down next to him, knowing the closer I am, the harder it is for him to resist me. Which now that I think about it, is probably why we ran away from each other so much in the beginning. 

"I'm mad at you but not that mad," Mason says before clearing his throat and resting his chin on his fist. 

"Well that's a relief, I figured I'd break us off before you do. I take great pleasure in beating you to nearly everything," I admit as I slide a little bit closer but he refuses to look at me, 

"I'll never forgive you for proposing first," Mason scrunches his face up and I wrap my arm around his shoulders with my fingers dancing along his bare skin. 

"Stop being a sore loser. Now, what are you really mad about?" I ask, carefully rubbing his shoulder as I press my nose to his cheek. Staring into those dark and brooding brown eyes that were illuminated by the fireplace. 

"Sometimes Noah, you're really selfish and it gets on my nerves. Like today with the whole drawer being locked and you thought I had something against you. And now you did something unthinkable that killed the moment that was suppose to be about Tristan and instead it's about how angry I am with you. Right now, I should be cuddling up with you two but instead, I'm here," He says and I pull back from him. 

"And yeah sure what just happened wasn't really your fault but that's just today Noah. It happens all the damn time and I'm sick of it. I'm starting to think you were created just to agitate me," He says and I drop my hand from his shoulder.

Created just to agitate him? Is that all he really sees me as? I know we joke about it but am I really just some pain in the ass to him? 

My silence alarms him and I know he's looking at me as I try to keep a straight face, looking at the flame at the sparks crackle. 

"Shit, I'm sorry Noah. I was just being honest, but that was a little too harsh, I didn't re-" He goes to put his hand on my leg but I shift away from him. 

"Um, yeah no you're right." I sigh, Mason didn't deserve this. I wonder if Tristan feels the same way. 

Maybe they would both be better off without me. 

"Hey, hey, hey only I can be all dark and brooding," Mason chuckles as he tickles the bottom of my chin but I carefully push his hand away. 

But if I push him away would that be making all of this about myself again?

I gulp as my heart cracks just a little bit and I force myself to go back to being next to him. 

"Babe? Say something please," He begs and I just nod, curling up close to him like a good mate would. The mate Mason and Tristan always wanted me to be. 

"I love you," I sigh under my breath halfheartedly, but he could tell something was still wrong.

"I'm sorry baby, I was just upset. Don't shut me out again," He pleads as he rest his forehead against mine but it was too late. 

"I'm not shutting you out. I'm just tired," I use as an excuse before Binta and two guards suddenly burst into our study. 

"It's the twins, they're missing." 

**************

Do y'all think Mason was too harsh? 

I think Noah's a lot more sensitive than he appears. 

Now what could those two twins possibly be up to.....