15| Mated Bliss

~Remy~ 

"How are you?"

Bahra asks as she disconnects me from the IV drip and the machines monitoring me. Rowan groans slightly as they sleep in my arms and I'm careful not to wake them up. They've got this cute little lock of brown hair on their forehead and I slowly push it aside. Rowan was dead to the world as I rubbed small circles into their back. 

"I'm okay now that the healing has kicked in," I answer and Binta smiles as she looks at the two of us. 

"You've got a good one there. Rowan's so sweet, they were helping me take care of the sick patients yesterday morning and even though they don't talk much, you could tell how much they cared in their touch," Bahra says and I slowly sit up, rolling my beautiful Rowan into my arms. She had been with her mate for decades and yet I couldn't see myself lasting another day with Vanessa. 

 "Is this what it's supposed to feel like? Being mated?" I ask and Bahra pauses, giving me a look of pity as she pinched my cheek. Bahra was always like an adoptive mother to me since I was taken away from mine when I was born to be Mason's Beta. 

"This is what it always should have been like," Bahra ruffled my hair a bit and I cradle my mate closer to me. Standing up, I push my legs over the edge and carefully tiptoe out of the room with Rowan in my arms. I get a few strange looks from the patients but no one questions me as I walk them back to the west wing where my residence is. 

Since Rowan's my mate they would be staying with me and I'll have it no other way even if they fight it. 

I take a few minutes to look around the wing. The glass had been cleaned, the window replaced, and all of Vanessa's things were packed into boxes near the door. It was nice of my pack to take care of me but nothing they could do would replace the memories of what happened here. The pain and agony I endured every night I spent home.

I walk into my bedroom, the spare one I used since Vanessa kept the master to herself. Usually sleeping around with other men and women while I got caught up on paperwork for the kingdom we have built. 

I go to lay down my precious mate on the bed so they could get some rest, only to feel my collar being pulled down with them. Rowan holds onto my shirt, pulling me down with them on the bed with an adorable little giggle as they envelop me in their fresh cotton scent. 

"You know, just when I thought you couldn't get any cuter, you decide to be chivalrous," Rowan whispers in my ear, wrapping their arms around my neck and bringing me crashing into their flat chest with their legs keeping me in place.

"It's kind of hot," Rowan adds and I feel my cheeks getting hotter by just being in this position with my mate. I have to try very hard to block out my natural instincts before they think I'm weird for getting turned on by just being held. 

I shift onto my elbows so I could look into Rowan's beautiful hazel gaze. The window next to my bed reflecting the morning sun onto their perfect face as they gently caress my cheek. 

"What are you thinking about tough guy?" Rowan asks as they kiss the tip of my nose and I just stare at them in disbelief. 

"I'm trying to figure out if your real or if your just some crazy figment of my imagination," I speak nothing but the truth to Rowan and they tighten their grip around my neck to pull me in closer. The warmth of the sun warms their lips as I kiss them, unable to keep myself away from them for a second longer. 

Rowan's kiss is lighter than a feather, their tongue grazing my lower lip for just a second before suddenly pulling back.

"Mmm, could your imagination do that?" They ask out of a hooded gaze that leaves me yearning for so much more.

"Maybe," I smirk and they kiss me again. 

This time Rowan slowly unwinds in our kiss, paying attention to the small pecks before I lick their lower lip, begging for entrance. When Rowan gives it to me they let out the softest moan between our lips. Giving up dominance to me without a fight as they cradle me in their arms and kiss me without causing me pain. Rowan wasn't going to kick me in the balls, yank my hair till some comes out, or slap me so hard at the lightest peck that I'm knocked out for hours on the cold hard floor.

Rowan breaks our kiss to catch their breath, gently running their fingers through my hair as the warm sunlight kissed their skin. 

"I love you," they whispered and my heart stopped. 

Love? 

For the past five years, I have been forced to believe that I am undeserving of love. That this warm caress Rowan is giving me would always be the faintest dream because I was born to be hated and beaten.

"Remy?" Rowan tried to bring me back to reality but I was too far gone. Leaning back, I tried to remove myself from their grip but they just pulled me closer. Holding me tight and forcing me to hold them back as we laid in the sunlight together. 

"You deserve all the love in the world but first I'll give you everything I have to offer," Rowan sighs after a long comfortable silence. They gently run their fingernails across my back, tracing tiny circles to comfort me. 

"I'm sorry, I know this is hard for you. I wish I had gotten here sooner, but she will never touch you again Remy an-"

"I love you too,"