Leonard Cohen

The train was starting to leave the station while you were looking for your seat in the carriage. You had a long trip ahead to the big city of New York. It was your first time in town and you were more than enthusiastic. Trying to balance yourself with your bags you searched for your place until you found it. In front of you was sitting a man reading the newspaper. Your eyes met for just a second before you tried to lift your bags to put them in the compartment.

"Let me help you, Miss." the man said kindly and rose from his seat to help.

"Thank you so much.", you said.

He was a few years older than you, but you found him quite attractive with his dark blue shirt and his reading glasses. He helped you with the bags and then he let you sit before him. From the train window you saw the little town you grew up disappearing into the horizon.

"Thank you.", you said when the man sat in front of you holding the newspaper in his hands. "I'm (Y/N)."

"No need to thank me, miss (Y/N). I'm Leonard.", he said, and there was a soft smile on his lips. "Where are you heading to?"

"The big city of New York.", you said.

"First time?"

"Yes."

"Well, I think you will love it.", Leonard said. "It's a big and interesting city."

"Have you been there?"

"Sure. A couple of times.", he said and folded the newspaper, placing it on his knee. "If you let me make a suggestion, I think you should not miss the opportunity to visit the Empire State Building. It's fantastic.".

You smiled.

"I'll not forget that.".

During the train ride, Leonard never picked up the newspaper again. You were both so engaged in a conversation that the time went flying. He told you he lived in Boston and dreamed of becoming a musician (even if he thought he was a little too old to start a musical career now). He was divorced. His wife left him and moved to California.

You told him you dreamt of being an actress (but you knew how hard it would be to achieve that dream). You were traveling to New York to meet the city and try to find out if there was any chance of making your dream come true (even if your mother didn't liked that idea very much).

Leonard seemed interested in speaking with you and you were enjoying that conversation. He was a gentleman, so different from all the young boys, and despite the gap age you thought he was pretty attractive. You had never been interested in older men, but Leonard made you feel something that you could not explain... There was something in him that made you feel so attracted. Lust? Infatuation? Passion?

The time on that train went flying and when the voice on the speaker announced another stop, Leonard spoke:

"It's my stop. Time to go home."

Oh... Already? You wished he could stay a little longer.

Couldn't he go to New York with you?

You tried to push these thoughts away from you. You had just met Leonard. So why did you feel you never wanted to separate from him?

He got up from his seat and took his bags from the compartment. When all of his bags were around him, he looked at you. Was it hard for him to say goodbye to you too?

"Well, it was nice to meet you, miss (Y/N).", he said. "I need to tell you that you are quite special, miss.", and he smiled.

"I really liked to meet you too, Leonard.", you confess, and for a minute you thought about asking him to stay with you until New York. You didn't want to be away from him...

"I hope everything goes well in New York.", he said. "I wish you luck."

"I wish you luck too with your musical career."

And then there was a silence between both of you. The train was coming to the station and it was time to say goodbye.

"I'm going out here." Leonard said. "See you around, miss." And it was as if he didn't want to say goodbye.

You smiled sadly.

"Goodbye Leonard."

Picking up his bags, he approached the door, waiting for the train to finally stop, and even glanced in your direction.

And almost without thinking, you arose from your place and walked toward him. He looked amazed when you grabbed his newspaper and wrote something down. He looked at the newspaper and saw the numbers.

"Will you call me?", you ask.

He smiled and before the train doors opened you kissed his cheek.

"Call me." You said and watched Leonard get off the train waving goodbye.

*****

Have you heard Leonard Cohen's posthumous album?