CHAPTER 2 - PICK YOUR MOUTH UP OFF THE FLOOR

When Max heard me agree to his father's proposition he let out a string of curse words that would make a sailor blush. Chase's was still quiet but an amused smirk played across his lips.

Max looked at him shouted, "And you, this is just as much your fault. Are you just going to sit there and say nothing?"

Chase threw his arms up in surrender. He knew better than to challenge Mr. Livingston. For some reason, he was completely entertained by the scene playing out in front of him. If I had not been around him so much I would have assumed it was because of me but he was too kind of a person for that. I had the feeling that he secretly thought Max was spoiled just as much as the rest of us.

While Max was continuing his meltdown, Mr. Living stood up and informed me that he would send a car for me the next day. He wanted to make sure I had a proper wardrobe. When Max heard that he insisted that he go with me. He said that if his father was going to force him to be seen with me then he was going to personally ensure that I didn't embarrass him.

I was enjoying how much this was getting under his skin far too much and was fighting the urge to display the same mischevious smirk that Chase had. When I stood up to leave I was surprised when Chase finally chimed in.

"Hey man, no worries. I will come with, it will be fun."

"Sure it will, your father isn't forcing you to parade around a maid."

I shot him a look of death when I heard that comment and smiled when Chase came to my defense.

"Don't talk about her like that. Lillie is cool. You could do far worse than her."

I mouthed, "Thank you," to him as I pulled the door to the apartment shut behind me.

As soon as I was out of sight I did a little dance in the hallway. Four thousand dollars a week? It might as well have been a million to me because that's exactly how it felt. At that moment, I resolved myself to saving every penny. I had no idea how long this little "promotion" would last but it was coming at a high price and wanted something to show for it in the end.

Suddenly, the thought of what I had to do to earn it made me feel physically ill. I consoled myself with the notion that he would hate it even more than I would. I relished the thought of making him as uncomfortable as humanly possible.

When I got back to my apartment I called Piper. She literally squealed when I told her all the details. She couldn't believe how much I was going to get paid or that I would be getting an entirely new wardrobe. She appreciated every dollar just like I did and I knew if anyone would understand she would.

After our conversation, I looked around my sad excuse for an apartment and wondered if I might actually make enough to buy my way out of it. I drifted off to sleep that night dreaming of apartments that didn't have electrical outlets hanging from the walls and leaking faucets.

When the black sedan pulled up the next morning I locked the door behind me and made my way outside. As soon as I got into the car I could see straight away that Max was still angry. Chase greeted me as a true gentleman should and I found myself grateful that he decided to join us.

The ride to the Upper East Side was filled with awkward silence and I was relieved when we finally pulled up in front of the first boutique. It didn't take long to realize that I was way out of my league. The lady at the counter looked at me like I had a third eye in my forehead. She continued to stare at me as I began looking through the clothing. I could tell she was trying to determine why a girl like me would be with Chase and Max.

Max took a seat in the leather chair and continued to be a pretentious prick. Chase could sense how I was feeling and went to talk to the lady at the counter. I have no idea what he told her but when he was done she started walking towards me with a smile on her face. She was nothing but helpful from that moment forward and I reminded myself once again that Chase was one of the good ones.

She showed me the dressing room which was nearly as big as my entire apartment and left to find some outfits for me to try on. When she returned she had an armful and I was a bit shocked when she stayed with me and insisted on helping me get dressed. I was a grown woman for Pete's sake, I didn't need someone to help me put a shirt on. I didn't want to be rude though, at least she was being nice even if she was just faking it.

After we got the first outfit on I walked out to see if it met Max's approval. I had no idea what to expect but Max kept the same look of disdain on his face. "It will do I guess," was all he said. Chase just smiled so I headed back in for round two. The scene repeated itself for the next hour.

When Jenny zipped me into a formal dress that hugged every curve I had, I found myself a little nervous to walk out. I had always worn "comfortable" clothing and wasn't used to having everything on display. It was tasteful, don't get me wrong but clung to my body like a glove. I walked hesitantly out of the dressing room fidgeting the whole way and trying to find a way to cover my entire body with my two thin arms.

By the time I reached the guys, I was fighting back tears. I didn't like feeling so exposed and I had to do it in front of two of the richest guys in New York. Well, technically it was their parent's money but you would never know it by the way they acted.

My eyes went to Chase first because I figured he would be supportive even if I looked like a fool. I was shocked to find his mouth gaping open. I quickly glanced over at Max praying he wouldn't ridicule me.

Imagine my surprise when he wasn't even looking at me. He was staring holes in Chase and seemed to be warning him to pick his mouth up off of the floor.

*********

A/N

I hope you are enjoying Max and Lillie's story. What do you think of Max so far?