CHAPTER 29 - THE TEXT

I watched as Chase rubbed alcohol-drenched cotton swabs across every cut. She winced as the tears continued to stream down her face. They hadn't stopped, just taken on different forms.

When I couldn't take it any longer I stood up and walked into the kitchen. She didn't need to see me crying, I needed to be strong for her. As soon as I was out of sight, I covered my face with my hands to stifle the sobs and let it all out.

The images of his hands around her neck and her gasping for air kept assaulting my mind. They were relentless like a horror movie was playing in my mind and I couldn't find the remote to turn it off.

I'm not sure how long I stayed like that. When I felt warm hands cover mine and pull them away from my face, I knew it was Max. I looked at him through tear soaked lashes. He looked at me like he would do anything to take the pain away.

That look melted me and I collapsed into his arms. He wrapped them around me and held me so tight. It felt like the safest place in the world. His touch was so powerful and with my head against his chest, I could hear his heartbeat. It made me feel so connected to him.

"I'm sorry baby, what happened to her was horrible."

I pulled away and looked at him a little shocked.

"What?" He asked.

"You've never called me that before," I said with a curious look on my face.

"Sorry, I didn't even think about it. I guess it just came out, is that okay?"

I didn't need to say a word, I just wrapped myself around him and he knew it was. He kissed my forehead and it sent a shiver down my spine. It wasn't the first time he had done that but every time he did, it felt special. I got the feeling that in the sea of women that had thrown themselves at him, he hadn't kissed any of them like that.

I wished I could stay like that forever, in his arms, but I knew I had to get it together. When I pulled away from him he asked if I was okay and I assured him that I was. Even as I walked back into the other room, he was rubbing my back trying to comfort me.

I smiled when I saw that Piper had somehow managed to fall asleep. The night had just taken so much out of her. She needed to rest, her body needed to recover. Chase had covered her up with a cozy blanket and slipped a pillow under her head.

Max motioned for Chase to follow us into the bedroom. He wanted to make sure Piper didn't overhear us. We both followed him and he shut the door behind us. Chase took a seat at the end of the bed and no sooner did the door shut than Max started.

"What was that man? You could have killed him," Max reminded him.

"And if I had it would have been what he deserved. He was trying to kill her!"

"Why do you care Chase? You barely know the girl."

That had my attention. I had been desperate to know the answer to that question.

"Because no woman deserves to be treated like trash and I won't stand by and let it happen."

As soon as he said it, my mind went back to the argument in his father's office. Chase said that his father threw his mother away like trash. That was it, he was trying to save Piper even though he couldn't save his mother.

I walked over and sat beside him. At that moment, I felt an overwhelming need to be next to him.

"So you haven't screwed her?" Max continued to push.

"No, don't be ridiculous. She is Lillie's best friend. Besides, she isn't that kind of girl."

"And this apartment?"

"When I found out what was happening to her, I knew I had to get her out. This apartment is paid up for the year and longer if she needs it. It's safe and minimizes her time at the mansion. I know she has already been exposed, but I am trying to do the right thing here."

I put my hand over Chase's and looked him right in the eyes.

"Thank you," I said and he knew exactly why. He had looked after my friend when I couldn't. He had shown her so much care and it only endeared him to me even more, if that were possible.

"About that," Max said. "We all need to get our heads out of the sand and realize that we are in some serious shit. This 'situation' isn't going away. Our parents have put targets on our backs and we are going to have to figure out how to deal with it."

Chase and I looked at each other. We knew he was right but had no idea what to do about any of it.

"You could start by telling us what was so important that it got your mother killed. If they are still out there, it could happen to anyone of us."

Max had a heavy look on his face. Somewhere deep inside he knew Chase was right but he also knew the magnitude of telling us.

"Not here," he said. "At the mansion. I will show you everything. You're right, it's your lives in danger too and you have a right to know."

As soon as he said that, both of their phones buzzed. They turned pale and looked as if they might be sick and it was freaking me out.

"What? What is it?" I demanded to know.

"Chase doesn't have to worry about killing the dirtbag, the driver did it for him," Max said. 

*************

A/N

Well now, I guess we are finding out just how bad of a situation they are really in. What do you guys think? I would love to hear your thoughts.