CHAPTER 22 - FINAL ARRANGEMENTS

The message continued, "Mr. Cooper Livingston has requested that Chase West accompany you."

When it was over we all just stared at each other trying to figure out what was going on. So much had happened in such a short amount of time. When we were interrupted at the event we had no idea what we would be walking into. Then the overnight treasure hunt in the mansion followed by Piper being beaten. The mystery message was just one more thing in a strange series of events.

"Do you want me to come with you, Max?" Chase questioned breaking our collective sense of confusion.

"Yeah, I don't want to go alone. Lillie, would you come too?"

I was shocked that he had asked.

"Are you sure Max, he didn't mention me?"

"Yeah, I really need you there."

My heart melted every time he dropped his walls and actually showed his vulnerable side.

"Then I will be," I said and then he winked at me.

I don't know why but a felt a little flutter when he did that. I had mostly thought of Max as a spoiled brat. I didn't know what to think when he began showing me his softer side, and now this. The man was slowly breaking down every preconceived notion that I had of him.

It was hard to hide the smile that snuck onto my face when he winked at me. To my surprise, a warm smile of his own mirrored mine.

The doorbell suddenly rang which startled me because I didn't know we were expecting anyone. A few moments later a very well dressed man entered the room escorted by Mr. Livingston's Butler. Max's face instantly changed as he saw the man come into view.

"Mr. Maxwell, I would like to introduce Mr. Campbell. He will be handling your father's final arrangements."

My hand instinctually grabbed Max's and squeezed it tightly. I felt his fingers squeeze mine in return and I closed my eyes, bracing myself for what was about to happen. Chase didn't leave either and I was thankful that Max had both us to get him through such a horrible time.

We all took a seat and Chase and I listened as Max made every single decision for laying his father to rest. What struck me was how authoritative he was. He didn't falter even once. I had never seen him so in control.

He wanted a very elaborate service for all of his father's friends and business acquaintances to attend. He made every decision down to the last detail but had no intention of being there himself. I looked at him with questioning eyes after the gentlemen left and he knew I was begging for an explanation.

"I had to watch my mother's life be celebrated knowing I would never see her again. I can't do that with him, he is all that I had left."

Chase quickly corrected him, "Not true, you have us, Max." I was glad that he did because I was a little too choked up to form a response.

"You have no idea how grateful I am for that," he said as he began walking out of the room.

Not sure what to do, we followed him. We wound up in his father's vast closet. I had never seen anything like it. Entire apartments could have fit inside of it.

"What are we doing here Max?" Chase asked.

"I just have one last thing to do, " he said.

Max began looking through his father's insanely large collection of suits. It only took us a second to realize that he was trying to select the suit his father would be buried in. We both took a seat in one of the plush leather chairs, unsure what to say at that point.