CHAPTER 6 - SURPRISE VISITOR

When I got home that night my head was still spinning from the wine. I kept picturing myself in Chase's arms but for some reason, Max's face would pop up and ruin it every time.

What was wrong with my brain? I mean he was nice for one night that should hardly negate his assinine actions before that. I chalked it up to the alcohol. That had to be the reason he was acting halfway decent to me.

I decided to call Piper and talk to her about everything that had happened. I had to get someone else's opinion. Even after I told her every single detail, she was having just as much trouble figuring him out as I was.

She did tell me that she met a new guy though. He was tall, dark and handsome and they met on-line. I told her a million times to stop using dating apps. Some real crazies use those things.

She was just coming home from their first date and was absolutely smitten. You could hear the excitement in her voice as she described him. I was so happy for her because she deserved someone that would treat her well.

Somehow she always managed to find the troubled guys. They would take all of the baggage they were carrying around out on her. It always baffled me because she was so pretty and had an amazing personality. On your worst day, she could somehow find a way to make you laugh. All I could do was hope that he would be different. Hopefully, she had found a way to break the pattern this time. I wanted her to meet the guy who would sweep her off of her feet as every girl dreams of.

When I finally looked at the clock I realized that we had been talking for way too long, over two hours to be exact. I was exhausted after such an eventful night so I told her goodbye and crashed. I must have fallen asleep instantly but I did rest well that night.

I woke up feeling great even though I had only gotten a few hours sleep. It felt like a good morning for a run. I loved running through my neighborhood. It was far from the luxury homes in Max's neighborhood but the people were real. Running through the streets and taking in all the sites and sounds calmed my mind and re-energized me.

I passed old Mr. Labelle's flower stand on the corner and decided to stop on the way back and get some. It just felt like that kind of a day.

After a three-mile run, I was back in my apartment and drenched in sweat. I filled a cup with water and displayed my flowers on the small table in the corner of the kitchen. They really brightened the place up.

When I stepped into the shower the water felt amazing as it danced across my skin. I rested my head against the wall and wished that I could stay there forever.

Twenty minutes later I emerged from my bliss-filled shower and headed to the kitchen to grab a drink. As soon as I opened my bedroom door a blood-curdling scream escaped me. My heart momentarily stopped until my head told it to start again. Max was sitting on my sofa and scared me half to death.

"Damn it, Max, you have got to stop doing that!"

"Well, start locking your door," he replied with a smug look on his face.

"Don't worry I will. What are you doing here anyway? Is there a reason you're sitting in my living room like a creepy stalker?"

He chuckled at my words, clearly finding them entertaining.

"I came to tell you to pack a bag. We are going to New Port this weekend for the boat show. Chase and that girl from last night are coming too," he explained.

I had to take a moment to process what he had just said.

"So you broke into my apartment to tell me this? Why didn't you just call me?"

"Because we are leaving in an hour," he said casually.

Was he insane? An hour?

"Max, that's crazy how do you expect me to do that?"

"Well, you are going to get yourself ready and I will pick your clothes while you do. "

I gave him a look that questioned his sanity but he just told me to hurry. Frantically, I dried my hair and threw on some make-up. The only thing I had time to do was put my hair up in a ponytail. I took a look in the mirror when I was done and decided that it actually looked cute. Maybe I should wear it that way more often.

When I walked into my bedroom, Max was fully immersed in my wardrobe. He had outfits laid out on the bed and everything in my closet was an absolute mess. I guess I shouldn't have been shocked. He was always impeccably dressed. On any given day he looked like he had just stepped off of the pages of GQ.

I pulled out the ridiculously expensive bag his father bought me and laid it on the bed. I took one last look at everything he had chosen as he annoyingly tapped his watch reminding me it was time to go.

"So where are we going?" I questioned.

"To buy a yacht." 

**********

A/N

So I think Max is bordering on creepy, what do you think? I would love to hear your thoughts.