CHAPTER 47 - SWEET KISSES

The next morning we all gathered again to discuss where we were. I knew where I stood, and it was with Piper. Trying to disappear was our best option. Something told me the guys wouldn't be so quick to jump on board with her idea.

They started with me, and I was quick to tell them my decision. Piper followed, but we all knew her decision. We stared at the guys anxiously awaiting their decisions.

When Chase finally told us he was in agreement, our hopes heightened. Max was the biggest shocker of all. I genuinely thought he would be the hold-out.

"Well, there are details to work out but I think we have to try. Any other option doesn't seem to end well for us," he finally said.

I was so happy when I realized we were all in. It was surreal. One day I was living a meager existence waiting tables and cleaning apartments to get by. Suddenly, I found myself in the middle of an insane world of money, secrets, and betrayal. Someone could not have scripted the insanity that had become my life. For the first time in a while, I could see the possibility of a fresh start. It would be one for us all and that excited me the most.

Turning to Piper, I hugged her first because she was right next to me. My next target was Max. He seemed taken aback by how elated I was. He pulled me away from him, looking at me curiously. He reminded me we had a tough road ahead of us. There were no guarantees of how it all would end, but I didn't care. We had a possibility of being free and starting over and that was enough for me at that moment.

Over the next few days, we discussed everything in-depth, attempting to work out every sorted detail. We also took that opportunity to rest our weary bodies, and it was much needed. If we weren't in the middle of a crisis, it would have felt like a vacation. Lounging by the pool and having chef-prepared meals was easy to take, particularly with a weight off of my shoulders. We were going back to set things straight and I for one could not wait to put things in motion.

One morning, Max told us all to get dressed and bring our swimsuits. Two hours later, we were relaxing on an insanely lavish yacht. When lunch arrived, he gave a toast.

"In a very short time, our lives will change. None of us know if it will be for the best or the worst. I thought we could have a carefree moment together before we headed back. Cheers to Lille and Piper for their bravery in the face of danger. May the danger be behind us and a new life ahead of us."

With the clink of our glasses, we understood why we were there. It was his way of having a few final moments of normalcy. It made perfect sense. After lunch, I stretched out on one of the open-air lounges. It only took a few minutes for Max to join me. He laid down next to me and wrapped his hand around my waist, pulling me to him.

"What's on your mind, gorgeous?" he questioned as he kissed my cheek.

I stared off into the horizon, not sure what I was feeling. I had a million thoughts running through my mind and didn't know if I should express them. After a few seconds, he tilted my head to look at him.

"Hey, what's going on in that head of yours?" He questioned again.

"A lot of things, I guess."

"Tell me about them," he said as he stared into my eyes.

Unsure what to say, I decided to just be honest. I literally spilled everything on my mind before I even realized what I was saying.

"I don't know everything I guess. Will our plan work? What will our new life be like? How will you feel about being stuck with me forever? Do you love me because of the circumstance we are in? What will happen when there is no more drama, and it's just us?"

I think my words took him by surprise. While me being worried couldn't have been a shocker to him, I don't think he expected all of that. It took him a moment to collect his thoughts before he shared them with me.

"Lillie, why didn't you tell me all of this was on our mind?" He questioned.

"I don't know, I guess I didn't want to freak you out. I probably sound like a crazy person."

He kissed my lips softly.

"Okay, let's get into it then because I do not need my baby worrying. I don't know if our plan will work, but I pray that it will. In my entire life, I have never been a religious person, but I have been praying a lot since I met you. Our new lives are uncertain, but I have peace knowing that it will be with you. Spending the rest of my days with you is the only part of this situation I look forward to. I want to wake up every morning with you in my arms. When I fell in love with you, it was because of you, not our circumstances. I tried to fight it for a long time, but you were having none of that. You won me over, and I never had a chance. Before I knew you, I thought I needed the galas and the money, all of it. After, I realize that the only thing I need is you. If sitting on a front porch swing every day holding your hand is what my future looks like, it will be a life well-lived."

Taking in every word of what he said, I looked into his eyes and tried to see what he was communicating without words. By the time he finished, I knew that he meant every word. It felt like his heart was talking directly to mine.

"Sitting on a porch swing holding your hand sounds pretty sweet," I said as I kissed him.

"Kissing these lips of yours for the rest of my life sounds pretty sweet to me." He replied.

"Well, in that case...," I said as I laid on top of him and kissed him a thousand times, all over his face and neck and lips. It was playful, and I could tell he was enjoying every minute.

"See, I just need you to do that every day for the rest of our lives," he teased.  

*******

A/N

Thanks for continuing to follow Max and Lillie's story. I asked this question early on but now we are on chapter 47, I thought I would ask again. Who do you like more so far, Max or Chase? I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions.