CHAPTER 38 - MEN IN BLACK

Cold metal pressed into my temple and I froze in place, scared to move even the slightest.

"Do yourself a favor little lady and keep your mouth shut," the man restraining me said.

Without flinching, I scanned the room and tried to understand what was happening. The tears pooled in my eyes, but I was helpless to control them.

Everything in the room seemed perfectly in place. I remember thinking how odd, considering that my brains could be splattered all over the place at any moment.

When my eyes met Pipers, the same pool of tears gathered in hers. With a stiff body, she scanned the room just like me.

A man next to her pulled something out of his pocket. It looked large and silver. My eyes tried to focus on it, it was duct tape. The man dressed in all black peeled a piece back and ripped it off while he stared into my eyes.

When he placed it over Piper's mouth, her stiff exterior turned to a puddle. She broke down right in front of me and I wanted to run to her, but I couldn't. All I could be was a silent witness while they manhandled her and moved her toward the door.

Once they were behind me, I heard the tear of the tape once more and stood helplessly as they fastened it to my mouth.

"That should keep that trap of yours shut," the man said as he looped his arm through mine and shoved the gun into my side.

"If you give us any trouble out there, I will not hesitate to shoot you, do you understand me?"

When I nodded my head in agreement, he turned me around and walked toward the door, positioning me in front of Piper. I was screaming on the inside, but I knew better than to make any noise. These people had killed Max's mother so they wouldn't think twice about taking me out, or Piper.

The man holding me slung the door open and pushed me out first. Looking toward the guard waiting on us in the hall, I saw him pull his gun.

"Drop it," he demanded of the men restraining us.

They didn't even bother to answer him but responded by shooting him in the leg. Three gunshots rang out, and I continued looking back at him as they shoved us toward the stairwell. He was writhing on the ground in a pull of blood and there was nothing I could do to help him.

My mind will never forget the sound of the door to the stairwell slamming behind us. It felt so final. Our lives were squarely in the hands of three monsters dressed in black. Would they take our lives or tortures us mercilessly? The fear was suffocating me.

At the bottom of the stairs, another metal door flung open. I prayed Max would be on the other side, that somehow he would rescue us. Those thoughts quickly vanished when the only thing waiting on us was a black SUV.

A thought suddenly occurred to me. If I could slow them down, maybe they could reach us in time. I began trying to pull away from my captor, attempting to snatch my arm free.

"Are you trying to die today, bitch?" The man shouted at me as he twisted my hand behind my back and I crumbled under the pain. Piper kept looking back helplessly and I wanted desperately to do something, anything to save us.

She let out a muffled scream as they grabbed her by the back of the neck and shoved her violently into the vehicle. It was my turn next, and the man took no mercy on me as he slammed my head into the headrest.

It seemed like time was standing still, but in reality, it had only been minutes since we had left the apartment. They got us downstairs and into the vehicle with expert efficiency. It was apparent that they were well trained and meant business.

The tinted windows were a dark black, but I kept turning my head, desperate for a glimpse of Max and the guard. Just before we turned left, I saw them come into view.

Max, Chase and the guard that stayed with them ran out of the same door we had exited. I watched as they drew their guns and began firing, desperate to stop the vehicle before it drove out of sight. Their efforts were in vain as, to my horror, we disappeared.

Suddenly I felt a bag slip over my head and from the sounds Piper was making, the same thing was happening to her. We were sitting next to each other, both scared out of our minds. What made it worse was that she didn't even know why. She had been drug into this world unaware, and now she was paying for it.

As the darkness overtook me, the fear did too. It was difficult to breathe and pitch black with my head concealed. Feeling Piper's arm touching mine was the only comfort I had. Reaching over, my hand found hers, and I held it tightly. 

*********

A/N

Short chapter but I wanted to get an update out. I hope you enjoyed it and appreciate you continuing to follow their journey. It looks like Lillie and Piper are in pretty big trouble. It also seems like within the next few chapters it might be time to hear from Max's POV. What do you guys think? Would you like to hear what he is thinking through this nightmare?