CHAPTER 36 - I SHOULD HAVE CARED, BUT I DIDN'T

My hand gripped Max's tightly just as the car attempted to pass us. They slammed into the back quarter panel of our car causing the driver to nearly lose control. I screamed in fear as Max shouted.

"Get us out of here!"

"On it sir," Paul shouted back.

I saw a car pull onto the highway ahead of us but it was speeding up quickly. In a matter of minutes, we were on its bumper and Paul passed it. The car chasing us attempted to pass as well. As they did, the car rammed them in the side sending them off of the side of the road.

Paul floored it as we were glued to the rear window watching the scene unfold before us. The car that was chasing us sped back onto the highway but it was still behind the other one.

I screamed again as shots rang out and peppered our pursuers. They finally relented and the other car sped up to catch us.

"Are they with us?" Max asked.

"Yes sir," Paul confirmed.

"How did they know?" I asked.

"We never have back up too far away and we are always connected by video and audio. They knew the minute we were in trouble."

I kept looking out of the rear window frantically. I was so scared they would find us again. When tears began to stream down my face Max pulled me to him.

"Hey, hey, hey, come here," he said as he embraced me.

I buried my face in his chest and sobbed as my body shook. I could feel his shaking too.

"You're okay baby, it's okay," he said trying to soothe me.

A few minutes later we pulled up to the mansion and rushed inside with security surrounding us. Chase was nowhere to be found but it wasn't like his presence would do anything to calm me, not at that moment.

Max poured us a drink and then handed me one. I downed it in seconds and his eyes enlarged as he realized that I was even capable of consuming that much liquor that quickly.

I think I was in shock. Everything felt a bit numb at that moment and I didn't know how to regain my feelings. We had almost lost our lives and it had shaken me to my core. The one thing abundantly clear was how much I needed Max. If he hadn't been with me I would have literally lost my mind. He steadied me through it and I wanted to hold on to him forever.

"Let's go to bed," he insisted as he took the glass from me and grabbed my hand. I walked silently behind him as he walked up the stairs.

Once we were in the room I asked him to unzip me. When he was done, I took my hair down. As I laid the diamond hair clip on the dresser, my hand was still shaking. I was just staring at it blankly when I felt Max come up behind me and kiss my shoulder.

"Why don't you get ready for bed," he whispered.

I walked to the bathroom in a daze and turned the shower on. As I slipped my dress off, I stepped in letting the hot water cascade over my body. My knees became weak as the reality of the night began to sink in. I slid down the wall and sat on the floor crying until I felt like I couldn't breathe.

I'm not sure how long I was like that but it was long enough for Max to get concerned. I heard him knocking on the door and calling my name but I didn't answer, I couldn't. I was so out of my mind that it felt like I wasn't even present.

"Lillie, you are worrying me, I'm coming in," he said.

I could hear the door slowly opening as he was no doubt peering in. The next sound I heard was his footsteps coming toward me. When he finally came into view, I just stared at his shoes for some odd reason. I didn't expect what happened next.

He kicked them off and stepped into the shower completely dressed, sitting down next to me. I remember thinking how odd it was that he was in the shower with his fancy dress pants and white shirt. He had begun taking off his black tie and it hung loosely around his neck. If I wasn't in the middle of a complete breakdown, I could have appreciated how breathtakingly sexy he looked.

"Come here," he said as he pulled me into his arms. I continued to cry as he gently kissed the top of my head. I guess I should have been concerned that I was completely naked but I wasn't. I just didn't want to leave his arms, I needed them desperately. After a few minutes, he stood up and extended his hand to me.

"Come on," he said as he took my hand in his.

I stood soaking wet as he wrapped a towel around me and began drying me off. It felt so good to be taken care of that way. My former self would have screamed at me for being weak but she could scream away. I needed Max and I refused to apologize for it.

When he was done, he scooped me up in his arms and carried me out our bed, laying me down gently. He changed  and climbed in next to me. I laid my head against his chest and listened to his heartbeat. The rhythm of it calmed me and I finally began to relax.

"I was scared out of my mind," I whispered against his bare skin.

"I am never going to let anything happen to you," he said as he kissed my cheek and I clung to him even harder.

********

A/N

Well, it looks like they barely made it out of that situation. What do you think about how their relationship is progressing? Do you think Max is good for her? I would love to hear your thoughts.